Mid-project problems - engine and trans mounts by Corvus
Started on: 08-30-2013 07:34 PM
Replies: 7 (258 views)
Last post by: Corvus on 08-31-2013 09:58 AM
Corvus

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-30-2013 07:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CorvusClick Here to Email CorvusSend a Private Message to CorvusEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey guys,

I noticed before I started to change the motor mount, trans mount, and dog bone that the dog bone that I got from Rock Auto is longer than the one that is installed. I haven't gotten to removing the other mounts yet but now I am concerned that I have the wrong ones. I got parts A2472 (engine mount), A4266 & A4267 (trans mounts), and A2396 (dog bone). My Fiero is a 1988 Formula. I am having trouble posting pictures at the moment but the dog bone I got is noticeably longer.

So, did I royally screw this up?

Thanks,
AJ

UPDATED BELOW WITH A PICTURE

[This message has been edited by Corvus (edited 08-30-2013).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Macarchie

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-30-2013 08:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MacarchieClick Here to Email MacarchieSend a Private Message to MacarchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Is the old dogbone cracked or damaged? Is the bushing in bad shape? Do you need to replace it? I just replaced all of the lower mounts on my '87 because the grime and oil residue from many years had deteriorated the rubber significantly. The upper mount was still fine so I didn't replace it.

For the '87, the passenger side (front) engine mount is different for the manual transmission than for the auto.

Enjoy.

- Jimmy

------------------
1987 coupe; Blue; 2.5L; 5spd

jaredmurray88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-30-2013 09:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaredmurray88Click Here to Email jaredmurray88Send a Private Message to jaredmurray88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
what swap are you running?
sspeedstreet

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 53
Rate this member

Report this Post08-30-2013 09:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sspeedstreetClick Here to Email sspeedstreetSend a Private Message to sspeedstreetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The listing and photo on Rockauto look to be correct for your Formula. At first reading I thought you might have gotten a 4-cylinder part; it's almost twice as long as the v-6 part. Is it that much longer? If it's a matter of a 1/2" or so you can put the car in park (or in gear) and then push or pull on the back of the car. This will cause the motor to rock in it's mounts to position the dogbone.

Good luck!

[This message has been edited by sspeedstreet (edited 08-30-2013).]

Corvus

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-30-2013 11:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CorvusClick Here to Email CorvusSend a Private Message to CorvusEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks everyone for your advice! I am running the V6 that came in the car. Below is an image of the difference between the parts. I finally was able to access my Flickr account.
Can I use this dog bone? I don't think it's the one for the Iron Duke but I'm too new at this to know for sure. Can I use this one?

olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 195
Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-2013 08:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadClick Here to Email olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That does not look like a fiero dogbone.
Reuse the one you have, replace the bushings if they are bad.
fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 282
Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-2013 09:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageClick Here to Email fierosoundSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by olejoedad:

That does not look like a fiero dogbone.
Reuse the one you have, replace the bushings if they are bad.

I agree. http://www.moog-suspension-...tail.asp?prod=3.7103

Though that is listed for the Fiero, it's obviously not the correct one.
I think the Fiero one is discontinued, so manufacturers are substituting one that's "close enough".

PN 2396 is listed for the 1984 2.5L Fiero here (wrong for that too I think):
http://www.carpartkings.com...t-mount-em-2396.html

------------------
My World of Wheels Winners (Click on links below)

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT and Super Duty 4 Indy #163

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 08-31-2013).]

Corvus

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-2013 09:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CorvusClick Here to Email CorvusSend a Private Message to CorvusEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks, everyone. I will see what I can do about sending it back. I'm pretty unimpressed with Rock Auto. They also sent me some wrong parts for my wife's Cobalt. Is this a common occurrence or do I just have awesome luck?

[This message has been edited by Corvus (edited 09-01-2013).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock