Started on: 08-29-2013 01:32 PM
Replies: 3 (428 views)
Last post by: qwikgta on 08-30-2013 09:37 AM
qwikgta

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 84
Rate this member

Report this Post08-29-2013 01:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for qwikgtaSend a Private Message to qwikgtaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
OK, so I’m trying to remove the spider assembly from the end of an 88 axle and I’m having issues getting it to slide off. I have slid the spacer ring up the axle and exposed the shaft retaining ring. I know I have to remove this ring but I can’t seem to get it. What am I doing wrong? The snap-ring pliers that I use for everything else don’t seem to work, is there a trick to it.

I am following the directions on page 4D-7 of the 88 Service Manual. The picture on the lower right shows a diagram and it says “Shaft retaining ring, remove from axle shaft then slide spider assembly off axle”.

Again, is there a trick to removing the ring?

Thanks

Rob
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
seajai

Feedback score:    (42)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 52
Rate this member

Report this Post08-29-2013 06:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for seajaiSend a Private Message to seajaiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I usually use a couple of picks. Put the pick in one of the splines and get it in between the ring and axle groove and pry it out slightly, then you can put another pick in behind it and work it off the shaft. Start at the gap in the ring and work your way around. I suppose you could use a couple of dental pics but I'm not sure they would be strong enough.

[This message has been edited by seajai (edited 08-29-2013).]

DaytonTD

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-29-2013 06:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DaytonTDSend a Private Message to DaytonTDEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I used a big set of needle nose pliers and opened them up.

[This message has been edited by DaytonTD (edited 08-29-2013).]

qwikgta

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 84
Rate this member

Report this Post08-30-2013 09:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for qwikgtaSend a Private Message to qwikgtaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by DaytonTD:

I used a big set of needle nose pliers and opened them up.

I tried this too, it seems to me that this ring is much thinner than the others, and because of that the groove is much thinner too. Its been hard to get anything into the groove. Again its not so much the "what do I do" but the "how". I guess i'll put the axle into my vise so I have two hands to work with, the way I was doing it I had one hand holding the axle (all greased up) and one had on the snap-ring pliers.

Thanks all

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock