3800 super charger to 2.8 question by f85gtron
Started on: 08-28-2013 01:58 PM
Replies: 20 (1050 views)
Last post by: f85gtron on 08-30-2013 11:19 PM
f85gtron

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-28-2013 01:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for f85gtronSend a Private Message to f85gtronEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I was thinking, and I have a question.... If the intake can be installed onto the 3800, then could the supercharger be installed onto the 2.8? Would that be possible?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
kikinz24

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-28-2013 06:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kikinz24Send a Private Message to kikinz24Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It is possible there's a few ppl out there who have done it. Unless you have an endless amount of time and all the parts for free its not worth the effort. Even with ported heads cam valve springs and massive work already done to your 2.8 it won't get you far at all... if you are dead set on building the 2.8 up fab a turbo setup up.. if you truly want power and play start reading up aand save up for a swap.

I hope this helps
fierosound

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post08-28-2013 06:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The 3800 and 2.8 are two different engines and the intake manifolds are not interchangable.
There is no 2.8 "supercharger intake" that fits the 3800's M90 S/C.

See here: https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/128045.html

For sale: https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum4/HTML/066531.html

------------------
My World of Wheels Winners (Click on links below)

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT and Super Duty 4 Indy #163

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 08-28-2013).]

f85gtron

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-28-2013 08:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for f85gtronSend a Private Message to f85gtronEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Debbie downers. .... Ohhhhhhhh well, it was the thought that counts?
One question, though.....on that ford supercharger, I wonder how much pwr is produced....i saw a belt-driven turbo, about the size of an alternator once....not sure if it did anything except make noise....really low profile.
phonedawgz

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 290
Rate this member

Report this Post08-28-2013 09:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by f85gtron:

belt-driven turbo.

The key difference between a turbocharger and a conventional supercharger is that the latter is mechanically driven from the engine, often from a belt connected to the crankshaft, whereas a turbocharger is powered by a turbine that is driven by the engine's exhaust gas.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turbocharger
f85gtron

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-29-2013 06:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for f85gtronSend a Private Message to f85gtronEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the clarification. I didn't know what to call what I had seen because it was belt driven, like a supercharger, but had a turbine, instead of a screw type compressor.

Also, I agree with the concept that if one where to want crazy power and have the need to open up the engine to accommodate I.e. lifters, cam..., then it makes more sense to do a swap. I'm just looking at tweeks and bolt-on mods...nothing invasive.
renderareason

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-29-2013 08:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for renderareasonSend a Private Message to renderareasonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you're looking for some more performance/drivability out of your 2.8, a good place to start would be the 7730 ecu swap
f85gtron

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-29-2013 10:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for f85gtronSend a Private Message to f85gtronEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ok. thanks. Looking now...... What will the 7730 ecm do?
f85gtron

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-29-2013 11:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for f85gtronSend a Private Message to f85gtronEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

f85gtron

657 posts
Member since Jul 2013
Ok. I just read an archived post on the 7730 swap. WOW! that seems like a lot of work just to squeeze a 2.8....but I guess you can't have it all. Looks interesting, though. I spouse the point is engine management and efficiency? Looks like a swap to 3.4 would be easier. I'm starting to understand the popularity of swapping!
renderareason

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-29-2013 01:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for renderareasonSend a Private Message to renderareasonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
There are a lot of benefits of the 7730, smoother idle, better throttle response, fuel economy, etc. There is a lot of info on it, and Sinister Performance has info on how to repin the ecu to work with the Fiero on their website: http://www.gmtuners.com/files/index.htm

His user name on here is Darth Fiero, and he is very helpful, also see the thread on this topic... pretty much all the info you'll ever need: https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum3/HTML/000088.html
f85gtron

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-29-2013 04:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for f85gtronSend a Private Message to f85gtronEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks. I will read up more on the 7730. Also, once I figured out what to call it (saleen blower), I found what I was describing before....an alternator-sized supercharger/blower....

this approach looks promising for low psi applications. Does anyone have experience with these?
PFF
System Bot
Spiders1

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-29-2013 07:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Spiders1Send a Private Message to Spiders1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It's called a centrifugal supercharger.

The supercharger on the 3.8 series II is called "roots" blower.
f85gtron

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-30-2013 05:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for f85gtronSend a Private Message to f85gtronEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks spider1. I'm learning a lot fast! There must be a reason these aren't being discussed more on this forum.. I wonder why? Are they unreliable? It seems to me, one could fab one of these from a junk yard alternator case and a turbo...remove the band clamp from the exhaust side and housing, then remove the fins, exposing the shaft, then turn it to fit the bearing and pulley in the doner alternator shell. I'm just thinking out loud.....
Hudini

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 165
Rate this member

Report this Post08-30-2013 07:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for HudiniSend a Private Message to HudiniEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Turbochargers can turn 150,000 rpms. Centrifugal Superchargers are designed with internal gearing and small pulleys to increase rpm too. You would be hard pressed to make anything DIY. You can do what many of us have done; buy a junkyard T3 turbo, weld up a turbo crossover manifold, wire up a turbo friendly ECM, drive it like you stole it. Ok, maybe there is more to it but if you want more power from that tired 2.8L add a simple turbo. Then when the engine blows up swap in a true Supercharged 3800. After I crunch my turbo 3.4L I want a turbo 3800.
thismanyfieros

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 120
Rate this member

Report this Post08-30-2013 10:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for thismanyfierosSend a Private Message to thismanyfierosEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I think with the 2.8 to 3800 intake question you confused the 3800 with the 3.4.. You can use the 2.8 intake if you swap in a 3.4...
MulletproofMonk

Feedback score:    (50)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 78
Rate this member

Report this Post08-30-2013 11:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MulletproofMonkClick Here to visit MulletproofMonk's HomePageSend a Private Message to MulletproofMonkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I was thinking, and I have a question.... If the intake can be installed onto the 3800, then could the supercharger be installed onto the 2.8? Would that be possible?

Anything is possible... but it depends on vision, fabrication skills, money, time... and what you want it to look like...

nyranger6830 did a build over here with a Thunderbird supercharger: https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/128045.html
Check this out as well: https://www.fiero.nl/forum/F.../HTML/127617.html#p2

The first issue that you are going to deal with is the fuel injectors. They sit under middle of the stock intake, which means you can't just mount the SC right in the center. You either have to fabricate a new upper plenum (maybe something similar to the trueleo) or cut a hole in the stock intake. Either one is probably going to put the SC high enough you have to cut a hole in the decklid or remove it...

People add a superchargers to other GM cars... but at what cost...

------------------
-Brian

My 87 GT Poly Suspension Upgrade (all pics) thread
Removing the roof panel
My HUD install thread
Modified stock air canister and base to 3.5 inch for 3800na

Isn't it strange that after a bombing, everyone blames the bomber, his upbringing, his environment, his culture, his mental state but … after a shooting, the problem is the gun?

Spiders1

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-30-2013 01:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Spiders1Send a Private Message to Spiders1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Thanks spider1. I'm learning a lot fast! There must be a reason these aren't being discussed more on this forum.. I wonder why? Are they unreliable? It seems to me, one could fab one of these from a junk yard alternator case and a turbo...remove the band clamp from the exhaust side and housing, then remove the fins, exposing the shaft, then turn it to fit the bearing and pulley in the doner alternator shell. I'm just thinking out loud.....

Absolutely not. The inner workings of the compressor side of a turbo and centrif supercharger are far more complicated than
that.
qwikgta

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 84
Rate this member

Report this Post08-30-2013 07:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for qwikgtaSend a Private Message to qwikgtaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Yep, its just that easy...... go for it.
project34

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-30-2013 09:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for project34Send a Private Message to project34Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Looks like a swap to 3.4 would be easier. I'm starting to understand the popularity of swapping!

Although not the most powerful one, the pushrod 3.4L engine swap probably is the easiest swap there is for a 2.8L Fiero, f85gtron.

Originally posted by thismanyfieros:

You can use the 2.8 intake if you swap in a 3.4...

thismanyfieros is quite correct about that.

Also, if you elect to go with a pushrod 3.4L engine swap, you or your mechanic likely will find a write-up authored by fellow PFF member, crazyd, to be most helpful, and one containimg some very practical advice.

Titled, "Fiero 3.4L F-Body Engine Conversion" ( http://fiero34swap.eleventenths.org ), that succinct write-up outlines just about everything you'll need for a 3.4L engine swap into your Fiero.

Good luck to you regardless of what project you take on.
f85gtron

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-30-2013 11:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for f85gtronSend a Private Message to f85gtronEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by qwikgta:

Yep, its just that easy...... go for it.

Sir, I believe you are trying to set me up
f85gtron

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-30-2013 11:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for f85gtronSend a Private Message to f85gtronEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

f85gtron

657 posts
Member since Jul 2013

Originally posted by thismanyfieros:

I think with the 2.8 to 3800 intake question you confused the 3800 with the 3.4.. You can use the 2.8 intake if you swap in a 3.4...

I believe you are correct. I am confused....
PFF
System Bot

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock