Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  Automatic Shifter stuck in Park, trying to remove shift knob, pulling R-Clip

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Automatic Shifter stuck in Park, trying to remove shift knob, pulling R-Clip by hdryder
Started on: 08-28-2013 10:12 AM
Replies: 2 (394 views)
Last post by: hdryder on 08-28-2013 11:38 AM
hdryder

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-28-2013 10:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hdryderSend a Private Message to hdryderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have a '88 GT automatic, that has never ran since I have owned it. It has a bad transmission that I am now getting ready to swap out.
Today I tried to remove the console to send the wire harness through the bulkhead, but now I can not get the shifter out of Park, and I am having trouble pulling the retaining clip in front of the handle, with it being so close to the HVAC control and radio. The shifter has been in the Park position since it was towed here a couple of years ago.
Does the shifter need to be in first gear to remove the clip?
I have tried to pull it out with the hook end of a scribe tool, as it is too cramped to get a needle nose pliers to pull it.
Any ideas why the shifter will not come out of Park? I have pushed the brake pedal when trying to move the shifter, with no success.
The release button on the shifter is stubborn and hard to push in also.

Thanks for the help.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
FFIEROFRED

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-28-2013 11:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FFIEROFREDSend a Private Message to FFIEROFREDEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Try moving the key switch, maybe the interlock cable is stuck. but you should be able to pry the lock clip out with a small flat tip screw driver. OH, and the key has to be moved out of the "lock" position. You can just pop the cable off the shift lever at the trans if you just need to roll the car.
hdryder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-28-2013 11:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hdryderSend a Private Message to hdryderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
FFIEROFRED,
Got it. Thanks!
I don't drive these automatic cars much. I bought this one for my girlfriend.
Now I need to get it running with a transmission swap.
Thanks again.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock