Overheating by FieroGT-987
Started on: 08-27-2013 12:23 PM
Replies: 13 (289 views)
Last post by: Gall757 on 08-28-2013 02:16 PM
FieroGT-987

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-27-2013 12:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroGT-987Send a Private Message to FieroGT-987Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My 87 fiero gt keeps overheating on me. Today after driving for 5 minutes i had to pull over because the radiator was smoking. A lot of coolant leaked out somewhere around around the radiator fan. I think the cap above the fan leaked out because of high pressure.. Maybe? What could be the problem here. The fan works properly
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post08-27-2013 12:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Replace the cap. Coolant is supposed to go to the expansion tank.....not leak out. You now probably have air in the system, so go to the Ogre's Cave for refill instructions and info on what cap to buy.
FieroGT-987

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-27-2013 04:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroGT-987Send a Private Message to FieroGT-987Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I recently replaced the cap on top of the radiator. I just bought a new thermostat. What else could be wrong? Should i replace the pressure cap in the engine..?
Gall757

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-27-2013 06:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I don't want to be a nag...but are you sure you got the right cap? There is a lot of bad info out there about which cap to use....again, check in the Ogre's Cave.

http://home.comcast.net/~fierocave/coolcaps.htm

[This message has been edited by Gall757 (edited 08-27-2013).]

FieroGT-987

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-27-2013 08:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroGT-987Send a Private Message to FieroGT-987Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes i have the correct cap. What should I do next..? Im worried because it overheats just 2 miles of driving.... This is my every day driver
Gall757

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-27-2013 08:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
that's all I got.... anybody have an idea?
EvilSqueezles

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-27-2013 11:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for EvilSqueezlesSend a Private Message to EvilSqueezlesEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Are you sure that it leaked from the actual radiator cap and not the overflow tank? After a certain temp/pressure it should force the coolant into the overflow tank. To overheat that fast seems like air to me. But to leak out of the radiator cap is odd. Have you double checked the seal on the cap since you replaced it? Make sure it didn't bind or damage the ring somehow. Its not a vented cap is it?
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post08-28-2013 12:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FieroGT-987:

I recently replaced the cap on top of the radiator. I just bought a new thermostat. What else could be wrong? Should i replace the pressure cap in the engine..?

Did you properly fill and "burp" the coolant system?
Marvin McInnis

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 227
Rate this member

Report this Post08-28-2013 01:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Marvin McInnisClick Here to visit Marvin McInnis's HomePageSend a Private Message to Marvin McInnisEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Gall757:

You now probably have air in the system, so go to the Ogre's Cave for refill instructions ...

Originally posted by Patrick:

Did you properly fill and "burp" the coolant system?

X3. You must purge all air from the rear half of the cooling system before it will work correctly.

If it's still overheating after being properly filled, there are several possibilities ... including radiator, hoses, thermostat, and water pump. Driving with the system repeatedly overheating and blowing coolant is not good; permanent engine damage can result.

[This message has been edited by Marvin McInnis (edited 08-28-2013).]

FieroGT-987

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-28-2013 08:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroGT-987Send a Private Message to FieroGT-987Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
How do I burp the system, or get all the air out? I dont have much knowledge of this, thanks
Gall757

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-28-2013 09:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Perhaps you missed this reference earlier.....

http://home.comcast.net/~fierocave/coolfill.htm

This should do the job in most cases...

1 Remove both caps and Thermostat.
2 Fill radiator to full and Cap radiator
3 Continue to fill at thermostat housing.
4 Install Thermostat and cap.
5 Start and run engine for 30 seconds.
6 Remove the Thermostat and check coolant level.
7 Top off if needed.
8 Repeat steps 4 thru 7 until system is full.
9 Replace Thermostat and cap.
10 Fill Coolant Reserve Tank and cap the tank.

[This message has been edited by Gall757 (edited 08-28-2013).]

PFF
System Bot

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post08-28-2013 12:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Its for sure the cap and not a crack or corrision leak of the radiator?

[This message has been edited by 2.5 (edited 08-28-2013).]

FieroGT-987

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-28-2013 12:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroGT-987Send a Private Message to FieroGT-987Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks a lot guys, how can i tell if its vemted?
Gall757

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-28-2013 02:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FieroGT-987:

Thanks a lot guys, how can i tell if its vemted?

click on the line of orange text, and it will transfer you to a page of information that will answer your question.

http://home.comcast.net/~fierocave/coolcaps.htm

[This message has been edited by Gall757 (edited 08-28-2013).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock