wiring driving/fog lights??? by Macarchie
Started on: 08-26-2013 10:21 PM
Replies: 11 (457 views)
Last post by: robiwon1 on 09-01-2013 09:23 AM
Macarchie

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-26-2013 10:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MacarchieSend a Private Message to MacarchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Guys,
I drive to work on a 2-lane road with areas of shade and sun. The blue Fiero has black trim and is hard for others to see when in the shade. Before I have a head-on collision, I think it would be wise to install some driving or fog lights. I would like to wire the lights up so that they will turn off when I shut down the engine. Any suggestions about which circuit to tie into? I do not have a rear defogger, so I am thinking about using that circuit - the only problem is that the defogger has a timed relay. Suggestions???

TIA, Jimmy

------------------
1987 coupe; Blue; 2.5L; 5spd

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
theogre

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post08-26-2013 11:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/F.../HTML/127667.html#p6

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top and bottom of every forum page...)

Macarchie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-27-2013 05:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MacarchieSend a Private Message to MacarchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Really kinda thinking about daytime running lights rather than fog or driving lights. Just want some lights to give a visual cue to approaching cars. I would prefer to have the lights on when the headlights are stowed.

------------------

92wastheyear

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-27-2013 06:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 92wastheyearSend a Private Message to 92wastheyearEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Macarchie:

Really kinda thinking about daytime running lights rather than fog or driving lights. Just want some lights to give a visual cue to approaching cars. I would prefer to have the lights on when the headlights are stowed.

Could you just turn on your parking lights when you drive that stretch? That is what I do when it is gloomy but not dark enough to pop up the headlights

James Bond 007

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 263
Rate this member

Report this Post08-27-2013 06:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for James Bond 007Send a Private Message to James Bond 007Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If possible Ide have,front and rear (brake), running lights. I have an article buried on my computer somewhere,that says, day time running lights reduce front end colisions by 17%.
Macarchie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-27-2013 08:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MacarchieSend a Private Message to MacarchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Sections of this road have high contrast between bright sunshine and dark shade... I would be more comfortable with higher intensity lights, under these conditions, I don't think the parking lights are bright enough.

------------------

theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post08-27-2013 11:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Most areas is illegal to fog/driving lights w/o low beam HL on.
Running only park light when driving is a ticket magnet in most areas too.

Your goal is Daytime running lamp (DRL)...
Running DRL on old cars might be good but you need to install the "lights"/whatever that won't confuse others drivers or Cops.
(FMVSS 571.108 covers DRL. Reading DRL section might help to explain DRL works.)

Example:
Many Fiero owners have DRL on same turn/park light or very close to turn/park bulb.
Problem is DRL can confuse other drivers because DRL may hide the Turn bulb when turn in on. IE others drivers can't see turn signal and cops can stop you for that.

To stop that... Many new cars and some aftermarket modules/etc DRL will shutoff on the side when turn signal is active.

Also DRL should shutoff when HL are on.

MANY have reports running Turn bulb as DRL has problems from heat generated by normal bulbs Even when done by factory. GM and others has TSB that covers DRL problems.
LEDs may help but too many ways to do that...

Many people hate DRL...
www.lightsout.org
8 Reasons To Oppose Daytime Running Lights motorists.org

One reason is Lights can hide things...
Diffused lighting camouflage Wiki
Google: diffused lighting camouflage
masospaghetti

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-28-2013 10:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for masospaghettiSend a Private Message to masospaghettiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I run H3-style amber LEDs in a pair of standard aftermarket driving light housings, tucked in the front valance. They are not super bright but I do think they help for visibility. I have them running directly off of a +12v line from the window wiper motor, powered whenever the car is in RUN. The amperage of the LEDs are low enough I am not worried about running them direct, without a relay. I still have an inline fuse for them though.

If you want full brightness halogen DRLs, you could use the same +12v source as a trigger for a relay, and then run a dedicated +12v line to the battery to actually power the lights.

I've never had legal issues with running DRLs without low beams. Never gotten any tickets and i've been running with them for awhile. I'll post some pics when I get home.
Macarchie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-2013 07:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MacarchieSend a Private Message to MacarchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My '05 Sierra has fog lights that can be used with or without the headlights. When I turn on the fogs, the parking / tail lights come on and the DRLs turn off. I would like to have the same setup on the Fiero.

I also thought about a string of those LEDs positioned under the chin... not sure if that would look right and not sure I want to spend that much money.

The simplest solution is just to turn on the headlights

------------------

Bloozberry

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 311
Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-2013 09:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BloozberrySend a Private Message to BloozberryEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I think it would be wise to install some driving or fog lights. I would like to wire the lights up so that they will turn off when I shut down the engine. Any suggestions about which circuit to tie into?

Try this thread except that to get the lights to turn off with the engine off, you'll need to tap into a power source that's "Hot In Run". If you can't find one just post back here and I or someone else will guide you: www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/127667.html

[This message has been edited by Bloozberry (edited 08-31-2013).]

Dodgerunner

Feedback score:    (61)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 323
Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-2013 09:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DodgerunnerClick Here to visit Dodgerunner's HomePageSend a Private Message to DodgerunnerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I run some bright blue lights installed in the GT grill opening. Since they are LED and don't require much power I tied them into the trunk light circuit. They are on when the park lights are turned on.
My B In L was in front of me once and thought it was a cop following him from a distance since they are a little bluer then the blue tinted headlights LOL...

Legal? not sure. Not been stopped in three years so far...

[This message has been edited by Dodgerunner (edited 08-31-2013).]

PFF
System Bot
robiwon1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-01-2013 09:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for robiwon1Send a Private Message to robiwon1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I had driving lights on my old GT. I had a toggle switch mounted on the backside of the instrument pod. Not the greatest spot as I left them on more than once!

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock