Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  Removing most of the vacuum lines and EGR???

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Removing most of the vacuum lines and EGR??? by 4thfiero
Started on: 08-25-2013 12:32 PM
Replies: 6 (1458 views)
Last post by: 4thfiero on 08-25-2013 04:17 PM
4thfiero

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-25-2013 12:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 4thfieroSend a Private Message to 4thfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey guys, came across this post today...

http://www.westcoastfieros....m_posts.asp?TID=1306

Apparently its possible to remove 90% of the vacuum lines and EGR to the engine and still have her run smooth?????

Can anyone shed light onto this and maybe instruct us on how to perform such a mod??? Thanks!!!
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post08-25-2013 01:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you delete the EGR and charcoal canister as mentioned in that thread, then yes you can get rid of most of the vacuum lines. I wouldn't advise deleting the charcoal canister, though.

That said, the other lines can be re-routed and/or combined to get rid of almost all those plastic under-plenum lines. I actually did this myself when I performed a 4-cyl to V6 swap several years ago. I ended up with only 2 under-plenum lines, one for the brake booster and one for the fuel pressure regulator. The PCV valve was relocated to the firewall-side valve cover, with a breather filter on the trunk-side. Below are a few photos. Notice that the EGR and charcoal canister were not deleted.

To get rid of the under-plenum lines for the EGR, I moved the EGR solenoid to the area below the intake hose. The vacuum lines from the throttle body went straight down to the solenoid. And the line from the solenoid ran up to the valve, which was nearby (you can see it in the photo above). This also provided a dedicated vacuum line for the MAP sensor, since the EGR solenoid was moved away from there. A T-fitting on the throttle body neck sent vacuum lines to the charcoal canister and fuel pressure regulator. And I think that's it.

P.S. -- the throttle body coolant lines were also deleted. I just used a short piece of hose to connect the two ports on the thermostat neck.
4thfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-25-2013 03:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 4thfieroSend a Private Message to 4thfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey thanks man! If anyone else has done this with more pics, that would be a great help! thanks!
4thfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-25-2013 03:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 4thfieroSend a Private Message to 4thfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

4thfiero

815 posts
Member since Oct 2012
Also the engine runs good like that? and u dont get any code 23's from your ecu???

Im still a little unsure as to the EGR solenoid hook up...

also does this enable you to remove the egr valve??? or no...i might have miss read that part. I was hoping we wouldnt need the EGR valve anymore.
racingfortheson

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-25-2013 03:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for racingforthesonSend a Private Message to racingforthesonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wait, wouldn't it run in choke mode all the time if you remove the coolant lines to the throttle body?
Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post08-25-2013 03:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 4thfiero: Also the engine runs good like that? and u dont get any code 23's from your ecu???

Deleting the EGR requires that you either reprogram the ECM to disable it, or fool the ECM into thinking it still works. Otherwise, you will get trouble codes.

The engine pictured above ran great. Everything (including the EGR) was functional. And since the MAP sensor had its own separate vacuum line, the signal from the MAP sensor was better.

Originally posted by racingfortheson: Wait, wouldn't it run in choke mode all the time if you remove the coolant lines to the throttle body?

Umm... no...

The ECM has no way of knowing if those lines are present or not. Their only purpose is to help prevent ice from forming in the throttle opening, and blocking the throttle open. And that only happens under special circumstances.

[This message has been edited by Blacktree (edited 08-25-2013).]

4thfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-25-2013 04:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 4thfieroSend a Private Message to 4thfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Do you have any pics of how the EGR was moved and hooked up????

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock