Ticking Under Acceleration by RilesOfSmiles
Started on: 08-24-2013 08:05 PM
Replies: 24 (449 views)
Last post by: RilesOfSmiles on 08-28-2013 03:19 PM
RilesOfSmiles

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-24-2013 08:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RilesOfSmilesSend a Private Message to RilesOfSmilesEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I noticed the car makes a loud ticking noise under harder acceleration. Most noticeable when I'm in a high gear going uphill. Tge car doesn't seem to be down on power or anything. The ticking matches rpm. What is this?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post08-24-2013 08:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Probably an exhaust leak at the head... maybe a cracked exhaust manilfold.
RilesOfSmiles

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-24-2013 08:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RilesOfSmilesSend a Private Message to RilesOfSmilesEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Am I going to hurt anything by driving it like that? I'm not putting much money into this engine except important repairs and maintenance. It has 150,000 miles on the motor.
trotterlg

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-24-2013 08:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for trotterlgSend a Private Message to trotterlgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I would figure out where the leak is and make sure it is not going to melt anything or set the car on fire, other than that you are likely just fine. Larry
RilesOfSmiles

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-24-2013 08:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RilesOfSmilesSend a Private Message to RilesOfSmilesEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I think it might be the forward exhaust manifold. Anything up there to catch on fire?
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-24-2013 09:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I've been told that an exhaust leak prior to the o2 sensor will result in poor gas mileage, as air actually gets "sucked" into the opening (when exhaust from the closest cylinder isn't pushing out), and this then fools the sensor/ECM.
Shonyman32

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-25-2013 03:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Shonyman32Send a Private Message to Shonyman32Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I just replaced my exhaust manifold gaskets. I had the same ticking prior to changing them. Changing them was a big pain. Took about 4-5 hours total working on the driveway with no air tools.
Sounded like a sewing machine on roids?
RilesOfSmiles

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-25-2013 09:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RilesOfSmilesSend a Private Message to RilesOfSmilesEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Shonyman32:

I just replaced my exhaust manifold gaskets. I had the same ticking prior to changing them. Changing them was a big pain. Took about 4-5 hours total working on the driveway with no air tools.
Sounded like a sewing machine on roids?

Yeah that's exactly what it sounded like!
masospaghetti

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-25-2013 10:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for masospaghettiSend a Private Message to masospaghettiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yeah it will "probably" not be an issue, except that you might lose performance, fuel economy, or both. And it's annoying. I had the same thing on my Fiero when I bought it.

I was lucky and the bolts came out of the head easily. They frequently break if you remove them to replace the gasket. Access to them isn't THAT bad if you can get the catalytic converter out of the way. My converter was clamped in place so it was easy to move, the factory one is welded so its not as easy. Drilling out broken studs will not be fun, however.
Shonyman32

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-25-2013 04:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Shonyman32Send a Private Message to Shonyman32Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I would say if you do replace your exhaust manifold gaskets get the volkswagen ones from rock auto (cheapest place).
my gaskets failed in 200 miles of driving (possible I installed them wrong though)
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post08-26-2013 09:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Make sure its an exhaust leak first. You might be hearing pinging from timing being too far advanced. That CAN destroy an engine. People describe noises differently.
PFF
System Bot
RilesOfSmiles

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-26-2013 07:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RilesOfSmilesSend a Private Message to RilesOfSmilesEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I don't think its pinging. It doesn't sound like metal on metal tapping. It actually sounds like lifter ticking except it isn't.
Marvin McInnis

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 227
Rate this member

Report this Post08-26-2013 08:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Marvin McInnisClick Here to visit Marvin McInnis's HomePageSend a Private Message to Marvin McInnisEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here is what my "ticking" exhaust manifold looked like (previously posted on PFF):

Originally posted by RilesOfSmiles:

Am I going to hurt anything by driving it like that?

Not unless you consider burned wiring or an engine compartment fire serious. Fix it. It won't get better by itself.

Originally posted by Patrick:

I've been told that an exhaust leak prior to the o2 sensor will result in poor gas mileage, as air actually gets "sucked" into the opening (when exhaust from the closest cylinder isn't pushing out), and this then fools the sensor/ECM.

That is correct.

[This message has been edited by Marvin McInnis (edited 08-27-2013).]

Shonyman32

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-26-2013 08:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Shonyman32Send a Private Message to Shonyman32Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Mine sounded like a lifter tick too but I would re-time your car if it were me because if it is pinging that will destroy the engine quickly. Better to be safe than sorry.
RilesOfSmiles

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-27-2013 04:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RilesOfSmilesSend a Private Message to RilesOfSmilesEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So I just got in from doing to timing and I think I found the problem. It was like 20-30 degrees advanced. I hope I didn't break anything.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-27-2013 08:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

It was like 20-30 degrees advanced.

Was that with or without the jumper in place?
RilesOfSmiles

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-28-2013 02:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RilesOfSmilesSend a Private Message to RilesOfSmilesEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What jumper? And its still ticking!!!! actually at idle it almost sounds like more of a tapping but isn't loud enough to make me think its a spun bearing.
phonedawgz

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 290
Rate this member

Report this Post08-28-2013 05:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-28-2013 10:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

What jumper? And its still ticking!!!!

Great, so now you've got retarded ignition timing to go with the exhaust leak!
Marvin McInnis

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 227
Rate this member

Report this Post08-28-2013 11:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Marvin McInnisClick Here to visit Marvin McInnis's HomePageSend a Private Message to Marvin McInnisEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

What jumper?

The time to ask questions like this is before performing a procedure, not after ... especially if you've never done it before.

Originally posted by Patrick:

Great, so now you've got retarded ignition timing to go with the exhaust leak!

X2
RilesOfSmiles

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-28-2013 11:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RilesOfSmilesSend a Private Message to RilesOfSmilesEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
No no haha I mean what is a jumper? I used a timing light and set the timing perfectly. Its just that the noise is still there.
PFF
System Bot
Shonyman32

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-28-2013 12:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Shonyman32Send a Private Message to Shonyman32Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
To time it correctly you must put a piece of metal between the A and B connections on the ALDL port. The ALDL port is behind the cigarette lighter interior panel.
Doing this puts the engine into diagnostic mode and you are supposed to time the engine in diagnostic mode.

[This message has been edited by Shonyman32 (edited 08-28-2013).]

RilesOfSmiles

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-28-2013 02:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RilesOfSmilesSend a Private Message to RilesOfSmilesEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Shonyman32:

To time it correctly you must put a piece of metal between the A and B connections on the ALDL port. The ALDL port is behind the cigarette lighter interior panel.
Doing this puts the engine into diagnostic mode and you are supposed to time the engine in diagnostic mode.

I did that too
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-28-2013 02:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

No no haha I mean what is a jumper? I used a timing light and set the timing perfectly.

You say you correctly timed the engine (while jumping the A-B ALDL terminals), but you don't know what a "jumper" is?

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 08-28-2013).]

RilesOfSmiles

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-28-2013 03:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RilesOfSmilesSend a Private Message to RilesOfSmilesEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Haha oh thats what you mean! I just call it shorting the connector I didn't know thats what you meant. The engine is correctly timed but it still has the ticking/tapping noise.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock