Brake Tool?? by NightMare Cruiser
Started on: 08-24-2013 12:11 PM
Replies: 5 (180 views)
Last post by: 85 SE VIN 9 on 08-24-2013 11:20 PM
NightMare Cruiser

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-24-2013 12:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NightMare CruiserSend a Private Message to NightMare CruiserEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Trying to get the Caliber off my 87. However what size tool / key do I need to get the bolts out / off??
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Gall757

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post08-24-2013 12:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
James Bond 007

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 263
Rate this member

Report this Post08-24-2013 05:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for James Bond 007Send a Private Message to James Bond 007Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Shoud be a T-50 Torx Bit (Star Bit) and is most likely sold in a set (I baught my set from Harbor Freight).A set of Torx Bits can be pricey.Try ebay or Sears if your in a rush ($$).$10 from Harbor Freight.

http://www.harborfreight.co...r-bit-set-67914.html

[This message has been edited by James Bond 007 (edited 08-24-2013).]

theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 567
Rate this member

Report this Post08-24-2013 06:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sears and a some others sells one part or whole set.

Usually T50. Seat belt uses that too.

Rust can change the size and aftermarket can use Hex etc.

Only other "bigger" Torx is T30 for door/headlight bolts, T40 for park brake bracket on rear calipers.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top and bottom of every forum page...)

Fiero84Freak

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post08-24-2013 10:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero84FreakSend a Private Message to Fiero84FreakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I picked up a T50 torx from Advance Auto for around $7 locally. I like probably most individuals have a torx set but T50 is just a super big bit that's not put in most common torx sets.

Also as of note like Orge has pointed out above, on some re-manned calipers you may come across hex key head instead of the torx. That's usually a good way to tell if calipers have been replaced, as all OEMs will have torx, but a good deal of aftermarket replacements have hex.
85 SE VIN 9

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-24-2013 11:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85 SE VIN 9Send a Private Message to 85 SE VIN 9Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It's supposed to be T-50, but a 55 might fit better. Sears and Harbor Freight (among others) sell three piece sets for brakes that include a T-50. The OEM bolts are probably the best bolts you'll find, most new bolts are hex M8 and almost all are weaker grade. The only Torx-head caliper pins I could find were at Advance, not in stock, and 8.8 grade.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock