Shifter or transmission problem? by sd_iconoclast
Started on: 08-24-2013 05:56 AM
Replies: 2 (205 views)
Last post by: sd_iconoclast on 08-25-2013 12:33 PM
sd_iconoclast

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-24-2013 05:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sd_iconoclastSend a Private Message to sd_iconoclastEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have an '88 GT with the Getrag 5 speed.
For about a week, I have had problems getting into third. When I would push forward on the shift lever to go into 3rd, it felt like I could only push the lever far enough forward to get half way into third. It felt as if the lever would pop out of third. If I shifted quickly, it would pop out.
Yesterday, I tried to shift into third and found nothing there. Once this happened, I could move the shifter all around in a big circle and find no gear.
After many more attempts, I was able to get into 1st, 2nd, 5th and reverse, but 3rd and 4th can never be found.
It seems like trying to shift into third causes something to disconnect and then the shifter can move all around.
Fiddling with it causes it to re-connect, but third and fourth can never be found.
I thought I had seen a write up on something in the 5 speed shifter that commonly breaks, but I could not find it tonight.
It is late now. I will try to look at the shifter linkage tomorrow.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post08-24-2013 10:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am expecting that you will find some junk in the shifter mechanism. Maybe some coins.
sd_iconoclast

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-25-2013 12:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sd_iconoclastSend a Private Message to sd_iconoclastEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Bad news!
It look like my shifter works just fine.
I can move the shifter and shaft on the transmission is moved correctly, and with full travel.
Anyone have a good Getrag 282?
Or maybe an F40?

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock