Fuel door lever by racingfortheson
Started on: 08-23-2013 08:48 PM
Replies: 4 (973 views)
Last post by: olejoedad on 08-24-2013 08:46 AM
racingfortheson

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-23-2013 08:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for racingforthesonSend a Private Message to racingforthesonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So I'm new to Fiero's and I have looked all over the forum but can't find anything about my problem. I think my fuel door lever is broke or missing. On the piller new to the driver where the lever goes is a hole with a wire (about as thick as a coat hanger) in the shape of a lever, but when I move it it doesn't pull lock pin back. Right now the door lock plate is bent back so it doesn't lock. I can't find this lever for sale anywhere. Could someone post pick of what it is I'm looking for or if you had the same problem a "How to" on fixings it?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Fiero84Freak

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post08-23-2013 10:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero84FreakSend a Private Message to Fiero84FreakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I guess I'm just a tad confused by your very last part as I'm not overly sure how the fuel door lock could be "bent" unless somebody tried to force it open, so I'll just kind of go over the whole thing.

The fuel door is usually operated by the fuel door release lever located in the driver's B pillar. It is an L (well.. kind of an L) shape lever that actually pulls the cable towards the back of the car, not outwards. If you're tugging on the cable just straight out, then you may not be applying the same tensile strength and direction that the lever would apply if it were in place.

I do not have a diagram of the lever layout on the interior side. However I do have one of the fuel door assembly and how the cable is routed. Even though you didn't mention what model and year Fiero you have (remember, ALWAYS do that in tech as your first sentence when you ask a question), in this case it is actually the same setup regardless of whether or not the car is a notchback or fastback.

((Diagram courtesy of Bloozberry))

If your fuel door or fuel door actuator setup is damaged and this is a car you just recently bought, then the prior owner likely was not made aware of the auxiliary method to open the fuel door. Pontiac recommends in the owners and service manuals that come with the car to use a flexible plastic card to pop the fuel door open if it becomes lodged. The reason is that the fuel door and fuel neck pocket setup is made out of very similar material as the actual rear body work clip itself, meaning if you try to pry on it you can break the body work and thus causing massive need of repairs.

However, the card-in-the-fuel-door-latch trick should only be used sparingly. The fuel door latch on the body side is only held on by one screw. Repeated pushing of the latch on the body side can potentially wear out the top side notch that the latch slides into, thus causing it to eventually begin to slip and not properly latch against the fuel door hold-down.

As far as potentially purchasing any of the components that operate the fuel door, I don't think anyone actually offers any of those components reproduction currently. The reason is that when the fuel door latch and lever assembly is properly serviced it should last for the life of the car. I'm approaching 300,000 miles on my GT and have no issues with my fuel door, nor has any of my Fieros ever had such an issue.

[This message has been edited by Fiero84Freak (edited 08-23-2013).]

Damorgan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-24-2013 02:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DamorganSend a Private Message to DamorganEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
my fuel door wont open without my pocket knife...it did when I got the car but now when you pull the lever it doesnt release the door, I checked to make sure it still pulls the latch back and it does Im just assuming it doesnt pull it far enough back...
racingfortheson

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-24-2013 08:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for racingforthesonSend a Private Message to racingforthesonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have an 86' GT. The little hook, or the part that the locking pin goes into on the fuel door, is bent back so it doesn't catch the pin. I just need a pic of the lever I guess so I can make one.
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post08-24-2013 08:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have one I will sell you.
PM me with your address.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock