Glue to GT sail???? by racingfortheson
Started on: 08-23-2013 02:54 PM
Replies: 11 (271 views)
Last post by: racingfortheson on 08-26-2013 12:12 AM
racingfortheson

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-23-2013 02:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for racingforthesonSend a Private Message to racingforthesonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I posted this earlier but can't find it. I need to know if anyone has modified there stock GT sails with a scoop. Mine are in bad shape and I was going to paint or cover with Carbon Fiber look. Then I thought it would be cool to make them into scoops. Has anyone done this and if so what type of glue did you use to glue the scoops to the lexan panel?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Old Lar

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 214
Rate this member

Report this Post08-23-2013 05:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Old LarSend a Private Message to Old LarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Most just replace the quarter panels with ones with scoops built in.
racingfortheson

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-23-2013 05:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for racingforthesonSend a Private Message to racingforthesonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I really like to do things hands on. I do my best to build things and do all the work I can myself. If I can save myself a few hundred dollas then I'm going to try, lol. It is the fun part to me.
racingfortheson

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-25-2013 09:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for racingforthesonSend a Private Message to racingforthesonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So one knows of a glue that will fix the cracks?
dobey

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post08-25-2013 10:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If there was a magic polish/glue that would fix cracks in the sail panels, almost nobody would buy new/different ones. There is no such polish or glue that can fix cracked sail panels. They need to be replaced.

If you want to make your own scoops, and have fiberglass/carbon fiber handling skills, then you can probably take a mold of them before you remove them, to make your own fiberglass/cf scoop sail panels from. If you really want to put scoops there, and want to do it yourself, that's the way you should do it. Cutting through the existing sail panels will only result in you having to remove the whole panel anyway, and you won't have anything to pull the molds from at that point.
racingfortheson

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-25-2013 10:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for racingforthesonSend a Private Message to racingforthesonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I just want some good strong glue that I can put in the cracks so they don't break as I try to remove them.
dobey

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post08-25-2013 12:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by racingfortheson:

I just want some good strong glue that I can put in the cracks so they don't break as I try to remove them.

If you just want avoid the sail panels breaking apart when you remove them, clean them and cover them with duct tape to hold things together as you pull them off. Then even if they break, at least all the pieces should stick to the tape. It's very unlikely you'd be able to remove them without breaking them, even if they were in perfect condition. Most people end up breaking them. You can maybe avoid breakage by being very careful with a heat gun and some piano wire.
racingfortheson

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-25-2013 04:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for racingforthesonSend a Private Message to racingforthesonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So people who paint them are just leaving them on the car and painting them?
fastblack

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 50
Rate this member

Report this Post08-25-2013 11:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fastblackSend a Private Message to fastblackEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Before you go painting them, you need to consider the enormous blind spot that is going to create.
racingfortheson

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-25-2013 11:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for racingforthesonSend a Private Message to racingforthesonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
well i don't have $230 to drop on sail panels at the monment and mine look like crap. If I could just find a good glue to fill the cracks I can cover them up with Carbon Fiber vinyl for now. After reading how they will more then likely break when I pull them off I think that is my best choice at the moment. Seen someone had covered theirs with it and it looked good.
XThirtySeven

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-26-2013 12:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for XThirtySevenSend a Private Message to XThirtySevenEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fastblack:

Before you go painting them, you need to consider the enormous blind spot that is going to create.

He is right. I painted mine with Plasti Dip because they are cracked. Bad decision, huge blind spots.
PFF
System Bot
racingfortheson

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-26-2013 12:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for racingforthesonSend a Private Message to racingforthesonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
well i guess with the vinyl i can remove it if i dont like it.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock