Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  Any advice before my first substantial work on my own car?... motor and trans mounts

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Any advice before my first substantial work on my own car?... motor and trans mounts by Corvus
Started on: 08-23-2013 12:26 PM
Replies: 6 (175 views)
Last post by: Grantman on 08-23-2013 04:54 PM
Corvus

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-23-2013 12:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CorvusSend a Private Message to CorvusEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Alright guys, this is my first time doing anything substantial to '88 Formula on my own. I will be replacing motor mount, dog bone, and trans mounts (all standard from Rock Auto). I have a Haynes repair manual and (what I believe are) the necessary jack stands, obligatory blocks of wood, tools, etc. I am giving myself plenty of time. The current plan is to do it in the order of motor, dog bone, trans.

Is there any advice that anyone would have before I do this thing? I haven't done any sort of major car repair in about four years and I'm kinda nervous.

Thanks,
AJ
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post08-23-2013 12:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Getting yourself a Service Manual wouldn't hurt, but a Haynes is OK.

Dogbone - first off, last back on. I don't think the order of the others really matters.

------------------
My World of Wheels Winners (Click on links below)

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT and Super Duty 4 Indy #163

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 08-23-2013).]

f85gtron

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-23-2013 01:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for f85gtronSend a Private Message to f85gtronEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You didn't mention beer and band aids...did I miss something?
Also, put the car into gear, rock back and forth, then pull the e brake....works better than jacks and wood.
Corvus

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-23-2013 03:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CorvusSend a Private Message to CorvusEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by f85gtron:

You didn't mention beer and band aids...did I miss something?
Also, put the car into gear, rock back and forth, then pull the e brake....works better than jacks and wood.

Beer is a given; bandages might not be a bad idea.
FIEROFLYER

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 180
Rate this member

Report this Post08-23-2013 03:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FIEROFLYERSend a Private Message to FIEROFLYEREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I find doing the rear tranny mount first when going back together is a lot easier as it sits down in the mount not on top like the others. Also for a job like this some thing stronger may be needed more along the line of JD or crown royal or maybe even a nice vodka depending on where the work is being done and how hot it is out side.
Corvus

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-23-2013 04:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CorvusSend a Private Message to CorvusEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FIEROFLYER:

I find doing the rear tranny mount first when going back together is a lot easier as it sits down in the mount not on top like the others. Also for a job like this some thing stronger may be needed more along the line of JD or crown royal or maybe even a nice vodka depending on where the work is being done and how hot it is out side.

Thanks for the advice! The goal, though, is to dull my pain when I inevitably smash my fingers, not die from dehydration. :P

I will actually be doing it in a barn with a cement floor so heat won't be an issue; only thirst.
Grantman

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-23-2013 04:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GrantmanSend a Private Message to GrantmanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
when I swapped the motor, the dogbone was near the first things to disconnect in the engine bay. wow did that motor drop back. I was thinking how am I ever going to get the new dogbone to line up. It will take some serious jacking. But it worked pretty well to connect the dogbone first than the rear cradle bolts. You probably aren't planning to take out the cradle bolts but if all else fails..................

------------------
1986 Fiero GT Fastback 3.4Lpr with 4T60
1979 Naked Honda Goldwing

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock