Single crank at start up by RilesOfSmiles
Started on: 08-22-2013 04:13 PM
Replies: 9 (173 views)
Last post by: David Hambleton on 08-22-2013 11:37 PM
RilesOfSmiles

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-22-2013 04:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RilesOfSmilesSend a Private Message to RilesOfSmilesEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What I mean is I'll come out in the morning and when I turn the key the engine cranks once and immediately starts up. At the very most 3 cranks. The car is an 86 gt. my question is why don't other cars do this? Is there a way I can make them do this? My 88 formula doesn't start up as fast either.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Grantman

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-22-2013 04:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GrantmanSend a Private Message to GrantmanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
my machine shop guy says it's all in the heads! I've freshened up the top end of 2 Honda Goldwings and one 3.4 Fiero. He did the valves and replaced seals on all 3. Just barely hit the starter or turn the key and they start. Doesn't seem like they've even spun a revolution. 5.9 Jeep is another story.
RilesOfSmiles

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-22-2013 04:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RilesOfSmilesSend a Private Message to RilesOfSmilesEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So just a valve job would do it?
Grantman

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-22-2013 05:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GrantmanSend a Private Message to GrantmanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
in his mind that's what does it. LOL. I really don't know. I'm sure it doesn't hurt, but I wouldn't say it's a cause and effect.
mrfiero

Feedback score:    (91)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 149
Rate this member

Report this Post08-22-2013 05:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mrfieroSend a Private Message to mrfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Oh man.....do not pull off your heads and get a valve job in hopes of having your car start on one crank! If your car takes several cranks to fire then inspect your ignition & fuel systems. Make sure you are getting good spark and your plugs & wires, etc are in good condition. If that checks out then check your fuel pressure. A faulty fuel pump or pressure regulator (as well as leaky injectors) may cause a hard start situation. After all that (or before all that) check your ignition timing and reset it to the proper specs. If it still won't start right away then deal with it....it's just one of your cars little idiosyncrasies.
Francis T

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 119
Rate this member

Report this Post08-22-2013 06:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Francis TClick Here to visit Francis T's HomePageSend a Private Message to Francis TEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Do both engines crank fast? As suggest above, likely just a gummed up cold start injector or a poorly seated connector for it. Try re-seating it a few times.

------------------
http://i16.photobucket.com/...ancis44/100_1147.jpg
[/URL]
[IMG]http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b50/francis4
4/000_0451-1.jpg[/IMG]
trueleo.com
RSpiderII@aol.com

David Hambleton

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-22-2013 07:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for David HambletonSend a Private Message to David HambletonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My '88 Formula starts instantly from stone cold, even after several days. A 'warmed up' start takes a second or two. Intuitively, seems backwards... My '84 & '86 2.5L always take a second or two. (All are manual trans.)
sco77

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-22-2013 07:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sco77Send a Private Message to sco77Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Fuel pressure might be draining back to the tank, next time try turning the key on and wait 3 seconds before you crank and see if it fires up any faster.. It could also be a leaking injector flooding a cylinder or a sensor giving inaccurate readings.

------------------
86 Fiero GT 4spd - L67 swap: VS cam, GenV. Needs exhaust (ETA 9/13) Build Progress
98 GTP - Some mods

Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post08-22-2013 10:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by David Hambleton:

My '88 Formula starts instantly from stone cold, even after several days. A 'warmed up' start takes a second or two. Intuitively, seems backwards... My '84 & '86 2.5L always take a second or two. (All are manual trans.)

That makes a lot of sense...the cold start injector has a switch that is temperature sensitive. If the car is cold, the injector works, but if the car is over a certain temperature...( I can't remember the number), the injector does nothing. The engineers figured that the engine did not need extra help if it was warm.
David Hambleton

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-22-2013 11:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for David HambletonSend a Private Message to David HambletonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Gall757:

That makes a lot of sense...the cold start injector has a switch that is temperature sensitive. If the car is cold, the injector works, but if the car is over a certain temperature...( I can't remember the number), the injector does nothing. The engineers figured that the engine did not need extra help if it was warm.

Thanks! As usual, knowledge trumps intuition... Is that only on the 2.8L?

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock