Torque converter lockout issue by lorennerol
Started on: 08-22-2013 10:43 AM
Replies: 8 (169 views)
Last post by: jaskispyder on 08-22-2013 01:43 PM
lorennerol

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-22-2013 10:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for lorennerolSend a Private Message to lorennerolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It's sticking the car in third gear. I had it disconnected for a while but, unbeknownst to me, a repair shop reconnected it. I had problems and took it in to a tranny shop. They are estimating $600 to replace the solenoid but recommending a tranny rebuild at $1700 (it's an 87 GT with 112k miles).

Lastly, I'd rather have a five speed manual than the three speed auto. Is this a reasonable swap, or very complicated?

Excuse my ignorance, but do these numbers seem reasonable? It's been a LONG time since I had tranny work done on a car, but I don't remember it being this expensive.

Thanks in advance!
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post08-22-2013 10:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I had a price from a tranny shop for a different GM vehicle, same tranny... $400. They had to basically take everything off that side of the car to get to the tranny side plate though. On the Fiero, it is not that complicated. There are instructions for changing the solenoid.... It looks pretty straight forward, on a Fiero. http://www.kichline.com/chuck/fiero/TCC.htm

Does the tranny have any other problems? I wouldn't bother to rebuild it, if not. A general auto shop should be able to swap the TCC also.

You may want to use the search feature to look for tranny swap info.
lorennerol

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-22-2013 11:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for lorennerolSend a Private Message to lorennerolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Perfect, thanks. This forum, or more accurately, the people here, are an amazing resource!
Marvin McInnis

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 227
Rate this member

Report this Post08-22-2013 11:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Marvin McInnisClick Here to visit Marvin McInnis's HomePageSend a Private Message to Marvin McInnisEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by lorennerol:

They are estimating $600 to replace the solenoid ...

That's very high ... which implies that they have no experience doing it on a Fiero.

You can buy the necessary parts (TCC solenoid, 3rd gear switch, and side cover gasket) for less than $40, and you can do the work yourself in an afternoon. You can do the work with the engine/transmission in place in the car, and while it's tedious it's also relatively easy as Fiero maintenance jobs go.
theogre

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 567
Rate this member

Report this Post08-22-2013 11:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes, can be done w/ trans in the car... If not leaking etc then DIY fix is cheap.

Not hard, parts are cheap, but does eat time.
Many shops have labor rates or use "flat rate" books to calc the job. I think 3-4 hours when all bolts aren't rusted etc.

TH125c was made cheap.
112K miles is up there...
Example, trans sleeve bearings wears out and can causes seal leaks. Axles bearings are great for that.
My axle seals leak a little even after replacing both ~120k miles. Too much play for seal to handle.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top and bottom of every forum page...)

lateFormula

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-22-2013 12:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lateFormulaSend a Private Message to lateFormulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I just did this repair recently and it really is not hard to do. The hardest part is the plug on the solenoid - getting that to plug into the mating connector in the upper left corner of the trans housing. This is difficult becasue it is behind the TV cable, which didn't look to me like it could be removed to get it out of the way. You have to route the solenoid connector behind the TV cable and then attempt to plug it into the mating connector on the trans housing. There is not enough room there to hold the connector with index finger + thumb and try to plug it in. I had to use both hands and just my two index fingers to try to position the plug into place. The difficulty is just lining it up on the connector on the trans, once it lines up it will snap into place easily.

If you're gonna try this yourself I would strongly recommend replacing the 3rd clutch pressure switch as well. That switch is part of the TCC solenoid circuit, and if you're going to open the trans, might as well replace that while you're in there.
lorennerol

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-22-2013 12:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lorennerolSend a Private Message to lorennerolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm not going to launch into this myself. As Clint Eastwood says, "A man has GOT to know his limitations", and at this point, I'm better off working as an IT consultant and paying an expert to do this work. I am, however, going to use the info here to keep the tranny shop honest and make sure they bill me actual time, not book time.
css9450

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post08-22-2013 01:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for css9450Send a Private Message to css9450Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by lorennerol:

They are estimating $600 to replace the solenoid ...

For what its worth, AAMCO charged me $250 to do the solenoid on my Beretta, but that was back in 2001. Sure twelve years is a lot but that's a lot less than $600. Maybe shop around for a better price?

Knowing what I know now, if it happens to my Fiero, I'd just do it myself. I think it has more room down there anyway.

jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post08-22-2013 01:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by css9450:

For what its worth, AAMCO charged me $250 to do the solenoid on my Beretta, but that was back in 2001. Sure twelve years is a lot but that's a lot less than $600. Maybe shop around for a better price?

Knowing what I know now, if it happens to my Fiero, I'd just do it myself. I think it has more room down there anyway.

Yup, mine was the Corsica. No room.... and everything is in the way

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock