Need Help: Mating Transmission to Engine by hinesb1890
Started on: 08-21-2013 09:58 PM
Replies: 11 (695 views)
Last post by: Pyrthian on 08-26-2013 04:12 PM
hinesb1890

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2013 09:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hinesb1890Click Here to visit hinesb1890's HomePageSend a Private Message to hinesb1890Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am at the point in my 3800 swap where I am trying to get the engine and transmission (5 speed getrag) on the cradle. How do I guide/align the transmission spindle into the clutch? I tried a variety of methods but every way made me feel nervous like I was going to damage something. What is the best way to get them together? I haven't done this before so I don't know how it should feel going together.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
trotterlg

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2013 10:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for trotterlgSend a Private Message to trotterlgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I presume you used a clutch alignment tool when you installed the clutch?
Dodgerunner

Feedback score:    (61)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 323
Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2013 10:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DodgerunnerClick Here to visit Dodgerunner's HomePageSend a Private Message to DodgerunnerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well there are lots of different ways people do it. Easiest is if you happen to have a transmission input shaft but that's not an option for most of us. Some parts stores have loaner tools to align the disk in the pack you can rent.
Last one I did I found a wood dowel the size of the flywheel pilot hole. I then wrapped masking tape on the dowel until it fit the clutch disk tight. Loosened the pressure plate so the disk would move and used the dowel to center the disk. Them tighten the PP bolts back up.
It worked for me anyway.

What also helps is to get two 4-5" bolts that thread into the block. Cut the heads off and screw them into the top to block holes.
You can hang the transmission on these while you work it into place.

[This message has been edited by Dodgerunner (edited 08-21-2013).]

hinesb1890

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2013 10:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hinesb1890Click Here to visit hinesb1890's HomePageSend a Private Message to hinesb1890Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The clutch is aligned, I used a deep socket that happened to be the perfect diameter. Should I be able to slide the transmission into place by my own force or will I need the bolts the assist in installing it? Also is the engine mounted to the cradle while installing the transmission or what way is best to hold them?
Dodgerunner

Feedback score:    (61)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 323
Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2013 10:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DodgerunnerClick Here to visit Dodgerunner's HomePageSend a Private Message to DodgerunnerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
should slide in easy until you contact the bell housing alignment rings on the bolts. You sometimes have to shake it a little to get the splines to engage correctly.
On that note did you verify you have the right # of splines on the disk and input shaft?
Also is there a bushing in the flywheel hole? The Fiero trans does not need a bushing on the input but some flywheels have them. If too small a bushing that could cause a problem also.

[This message has been edited by Dodgerunner (edited 08-21-2013).]

hinesb1890

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2013 11:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hinesb1890Click Here to visit hinesb1890's HomePageSend a Private Message to hinesb1890Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
There is no bushing in the flywheel hole, the transmission has already been installed before on this set up, the only difference is I now have a new clutch disc. I will double check that there is an equal number of spline and then try your method. Thanks for the help
sco77

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-22-2013 05:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sco77Send a Private Message to sco77Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by hinesb1890:

The clutch is aligned, I used a deep socket that happened to be the perfect diameter. Should I be able to slide the transmission into place by my own force or will I need the bolts the assist in installing it? Also is the engine mounted to the cradle while installing the transmission or what way is best to hold them?

That sounds like your problem right there, there is a no way a socket would properly align it, the hole for the splines is bigger than the alignment hole on the crank.

I put down some padding, lowered the crane until the oil pan touched the padding hard enough to hold the engine still, then wiggled and turned the transmission back and forth until it slide upto the alignment dowels.

------------------
86 Fiero GT 4spd - L67 swap: VS cam, GenV. Needs exhaust (ETA 9/13) Build Progress
98 GTP - Some mods

[This message has been edited by sco77 (edited 08-22-2013).]

fierosound

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post08-22-2013 09:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Get a couple of longer transmission/engine bolts. 12mm dia by 1.75mm thread pitch. Cut the heads off to make studs.

Screw two of those studs bolts into the block by hand (no need to be tight).
Now when you hang the transmisson on the studs, it will align with the block and slide together easily.

------------------
My World of Wheels Winners (Click on links below)

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT and Super Duty 4 Indy #163

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 08-22-2013).]

TONY_C

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-22-2013 10:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TONY_CSend a Private Message to TONY_CEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by hinesb1890:

I don't understand how using a socket will get the clutch disc properly aligned to the crankshaft centerline.

FFIEROFRED

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-22-2013 03:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FFIEROFREDSend a Private Message to FFIEROFREDEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Some times it helps to put the trans in gear. Have some one hold one trypot while you turn the other a little to get the spline to engage. If you can't get it to engage don't force it in with the bolts.
hinesb1890

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-26-2013 03:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hinesb1890Click Here to visit hinesb1890's HomePageSend a Private Message to hinesb1890Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks guys I got it sorted out, some of the edges on the clutch splines had burrs on them which was keeping the tranny spindle from sliding in
PFF
System Bot
Pyrthian

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
Rate this member

Report this Post08-26-2013 04:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PyrthianSend a Private Message to PyrthianEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierosound:
Get a couple of longer transmission/engine bolts. 12mm dia by 1.75mm thread pitch. Cut the heads off to make studs.

Screw two of those studs bolts into the block by hand (no need to be tight).
Now when you hang the transmisson on the studs, it will align with the block and slide together easily.

This.

works great.
hang the tranny on the studs, and slide it on.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock