BELT for "low Alt ? by Lou6t4gto
Started on: 08-21-2013 06:35 PM
Replies: 3 (115 views)
Last post by: Jims88 on 08-21-2013 07:49 PM
Lou6t4gto

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2013 06:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
1997 3800SC. (With AC) I put the Alt down Low, so now I need a shorter belt, Should I just cut the old belt, take a piece out to check the length needed (then shorter by an inch to figure in the "Tensioners ), Or is there a "KNOWN" Part number available ? Thanks
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
sco77

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2013 06:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sco77Send a Private Message to sco77Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
No one is going to be able to answer this because every setup is different, you are just going to have to use a string technique, keep cutting the string until it wraps perfectly tight, measure that then take off like 1" or so for tensioner (there is no exact number here because it depends on the angle of the tensioner). You will probably buy 1 or 2 of the wrong sizes before getting it right so this is best to get locally so you can return.

Belts have the size as part of the part number, for example the belt I needed had to be 81.5" , So I used a Gates k060815 (06 ribs, 0815 length), which luckily was in stock at the local auto part store.

------------------
86 Fiero GT 4spd - L67 swap: VS cam, GenV. Needs exhaust (ETA 9/13) Build Progress
98 GTP - Some mods

trotterlg

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2013 07:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for trotterlgSend a Private Message to trotterlgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Cut the old belt and put it around the path, set the tensioner (if one) mid travel. Buy that size belt, one inch less on a belt is really a lot, you may try a half inch less, but take care. Larry
Jims88

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2013 07:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jims88Send a Private Message to Jims88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I found this site helpful to get me close, after I measured my length.
It will give you the belt dimensions in the belt data.

http://www.gatespowerpro.co...te2&punchInID=607492

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock