Front bump stop? by S-toon
Started on: 08-21-2013 11:08 AM
Replies: 7 (1073 views)
Last post by: tesmith66 on 08-21-2013 02:01 PM
S-toon

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2013 11:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for S-toonSend a Private Message to S-toonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Can the front bump stop be removed so that I can take it off, and fix it as I will be cutting 1.5 coils off the front springs. I did search and couldn't find the answer. I haven't started on the front yet so I haven't looked myself, and couldn't find anyone with a portable welder to come to my house and do this. And from looking here I saw that it might be possible to take the whole thing out and bring it to my work and have someone do it.

I saw this pic, and it looks like it might come off, does anyone know for sure. Looks like 3 bolts on the side holding it, and 2 bolts holding the bumpstop down.

Pic is from MulletproofMonk //www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/094633.html and thanks for that guide, its really helping out, already have the rear done. And also thanks to Redraif for his guide //www.fiero.nl/forum/F...118751.html#lastpost as it helped me do my own diy coil overs.

Thanks,
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
MulletproofMonk

Feedback score:    (50)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 78
Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2013 11:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MulletproofMonkClick Here to visit MulletproofMonk's HomePageSend a Private Message to MulletproofMonkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you want to get it on the ground to work on it, you have to take the whole crossmember out... Otherwise the bump stops are exposed when you take the upper and lower control arms out (and spring).

------------------
-Brian

My 87 GT Poly Suspension Upgrade (all pics) thread
Removing the roof panel
My HUD install thread
Modified stock air canister and base to 3.5 inch for 3800na

Isn't it strange that after a bombing, everyone blames the bomber, his upbringing, his environment, his culture, his mental state but … after a shooting, the problem is the gun?

[This message has been edited by MulletproofMonk (edited 08-21-2013).]

S-toon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2013 12:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for S-toonSend a Private Message to S-toonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well that sucks! Any Idea how much more work it would take to take it out? Might just have to take it all out as I can't get anyone to come do this at home.
DaytonTD

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2013 12:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DaytonTDSend a Private Message to DaytonTDEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I managed to cut mine and re-weld it in while still having the A-Arms attached and cross-member in the car. It was a little hard to get in but I got it, it was also hard to weld the back side.
zkhennings

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2013 01:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for zkhenningsSend a Private Message to zkhenningsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by DaytonTD:

I managed to cut mine and re-weld it in while still having the A-Arms attached and cross-member in the car. It was a little hard to get in but I got it, it was also hard to weld the back side.

Same, I had to lie on my back to weld the backside. You really need a dremel with a cutoff wheel for cutting out the very back. But Yea it really was not hard.

The first cut comes out really bad, but it is really easy to clean up the part you cut off, and the part still attached to the car I just took the grinding wheel and pressed it flat against the bottom of the cut and it flattened it really nicely.

[This message has been edited by zkhennings (edited 08-21-2013).]

S-toon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2013 01:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for S-toonSend a Private Message to S-toonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The problem is I can't get anyone with a portable welder to come and do this. The next thing I can think of is to take the springs off at home, and take it to work on dolly or trailer, and let one of the welders at my work do it for me.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2013 01:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by S-toon:

The problem is I can't get anyone with a portable welder to come and do this.

If the mountain won't come to Muhammad, then Muhammad must go to the mountain.
tesmith66

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 135
Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2013 02:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tesmith66Send a Private Message to tesmith66Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I did it to a spare crossmember and swapped them out. That conical shape is real hard to get a straight cut on. Also, remove the bumpers AFTER you cut the bottom of the stop off. It'll take a LOT of lubricant and a dull screwdriver to push them out without ripping it in half and rendering it useless. Then you just pop it back in after your finished welding. If you take it out to this, it's also a great opportunity to weld the upper control arm shaft tubes. They have a tendency to break off as they age.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock