Suspention fix question by NightMare Cruiser
Started on: 08-20-2013 09:50 PM
Replies: 7 (300 views)
Last post by: NightMare Cruiser on 08-23-2013 11:24 PM
NightMare Cruiser

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2013 09:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NightMare CruiserSend a Private Message to NightMare CruiserEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
After the 3800 swap I had the car aligned. Now after a few weeks and 300 miles it feels "wishy washy" car wiggles a little as you drive. Almost like it's really windy out side. Also the steering wheel used to be straight (9 & 3) now the left side is at 10 and the right at 4. For a few miles if I turned right the wheel would correct its' self. I went under car and looked around, nothing clunking or banging. What could this be?? I don't want to order something I don't need. Also want to do most work myself before hitting up the local STS shop.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Gall757

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2013 09:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
something slipped on the alignment I think.
MadMark

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2013 10:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MadMarkSend a Private Message to MadMarkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I agree, something slipped on the alignment. I had the same trouble with my 88 GT for a few years. I kept getting it aligned and it kept going out of alignment. I don't know if you have an 88 or not, but if you do before you get it aligned again, buy some of Rodney Dickmans paddle nuts and bolts for the upper A-Arms. These nuts are slightly compressed and will not back off.
NightMare Cruiser

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2013 10:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NightMare CruiserSend a Private Message to NightMare CruiserEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
1987 base with 3800 sc swap
Fieroking

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 78
Rate this member

Report this Post08-22-2013 06:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FierokingClick Here to visit Fieroking's HomePageSend a Private Message to FierokingEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Check the torque on the axle nuts. They can make the car feel squirrely.

Joe Sokol

------------------
85 SE Daily driver with a 3.4 DOHC OBD II
88 Formula/GT 4.9 Allante Intake (My Baby)
www.fieroking.com

mitchjl22

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-23-2013 02:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mitchjl22Send a Private Message to mitchjl22Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fieroking:

Check the torque on the axle nuts. They can make the car feel squirrely.

Joe Sokol

Hehe.... i had my wheel bearing shear in half because of the rear axle nuts.... btw they should be 200ft lbs... and make sure your wheel bearings aren't bad.
tesmith66

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 135
Rate this member

Report this Post08-23-2013 08:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tesmith66Send a Private Message to tesmith66Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Loose axle nuts and / or cradle bolts will cause this. Loose or worn suspension & steering components will, too, but the alignment shop SHOULD have caught those.
NightMare Cruiser

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-23-2013 11:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NightMare CruiserSend a Private Message to NightMare CruiserEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Today I tightened all 4 cradle bolts and both axel bolts. None of them were loose. I did notice a "little" bit of play in the rear pass wheel. Tomorrow i'll replace that bearing. I also replaced the front shocks. The driver one was fine. The Pass one was DONE!! Car drove a little bit better. Gotta replace the rear struts also. Then go directly and get the alignment done again.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock