4T65Ehd cooling question for swaps by Curtisk1060
Started on: 08-19-2013 01:04 PM
Replies: 8 (188 views)
Last post by: olejoedad on 08-20-2013 11:17 AM
Curtisk1060

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-19-2013 01:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Curtisk1060Send a Private Message to Curtisk1060Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am just about ready to swap out my 2.8 with the 3800SC engine/4t65EHD transmission from a 2000 GTP. I replaced my stock Fiero radiator several years ago with the 3 row aluminum one which includes the internal transmission cooler and I have never had a cooling problem with it. I plan on using the modified Fiero thermostat housing, etc. but I was wondering if it will be necessary and/or recommended to install a separate transmission cooler instead of re-using the current one within my radiator? I don't plan to race the new combination, just drive it around to shows, take road trips, etc. What have others experienced with this? What do other fellow engine swap people recommend. As usual any advice is appreciated.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Lou6t4gto

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-19-2013 01:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I would think the LOOP in the radiator should be fine (The "IN Radiator" coolers are pretty much the same from Car to Car). If it makes you "Feel Safer", you could put in a separate one
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post08-19-2013 02:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The "cooler" is actually more of a temperature stabilizer. The auto trannies dont like to be too cold or too hot, hence the inclusion of the loop in the radiator side tank.
Use what you have, you'll be fine.
DimeMachine

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-19-2013 03:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DimeMachineSend a Private Message to DimeMachineEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have been using a tranny cooler only for the past 3 years with no problems at all. My tranny rarely gets up to 150 and in the winter it runs at 120 or less which is technically too cold. I have not noticed any problems at all and I beat the tar out of it daily. I did not want to hook it up the the fiero tranny lines because they were much smaller diameter and I was worried about lack of flow. I think the best solution would be to plumb new lines (same size as donor car) up to the fiero radiator.

My 2 cents.

------------------
84 NB, 3800SC, E-85, VS Cam, 3.0 Pulley, 4T65E-HD, HP Tuners, AEM Wideband, Regal GS Gauges, S-10 Brake Booster. 1/4 mile -12.05 at 111.7mph

qwikgta

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 84
Rate this member

Report this Post08-19-2013 03:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for qwikgtaSend a Private Message to qwikgtaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

[This message has been edited by qwikgta (edited 08-19-2013).]

MstangsBware

Feedback score:    (108)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 459
Rate this member

Report this Post08-19-2013 05:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MstangsBwareSend a Private Message to MstangsBwareEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I ran the stock radiator cooler for many years with no issues but when moved up to a 3K stall I had to add in a cooler to keep the temps under control in the summer time. You should be fine with the stock cooler in the radiator.

Curtisk1060

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-19-2013 06:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Curtisk1060Send a Private Message to Curtisk1060Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for all of the input!! I would prefer to just use the stock internal cooler but wanted to know from others experiences!! Curtis
DimeMachine

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2013 10:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DimeMachineSend a Private Message to DimeMachineEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Are people plumbing the stock radiator tranny cooler with the smaller fiero stock size tubing or are you replacing all of the lines and using adaptors at the radiator for the larger donor car size line. I realize by using the larger line you are still stepping it down at the radiator but that still flows better than having the entire thing plumbed with the smaller fiero size line.

What have you guys done?

[This message has been edited by DimeMachine (edited 08-20-2013).]

olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2013 11:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The stock sized lines provide plenty of flow for adequate temperature control.

I usually replace the stock line with stainless steel from Inline Tube, as the stock lines are old and usually corroded.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock