2004 Grand Prix Front Caliper Conversion by mitchjl22
Started on: 08-17-2013 07:26 PM
Replies: 3 (1010 views)
Last post by: aaronkoch on 08-19-2013 11:27 AM
mitchjl22

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-17-2013 07:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mitchjl22Send a Private Message to mitchjl22Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have an 04' GTP Comp G that is the parts car for my Series III 3800sc Swap. I was looking at the front calipers today, and decided to pull them off because they look nice, and look very updated compared to the stock Fiero front calipers. The rotors are essentially 12" vented rotors and they look very efficient. The comp g calipers are factory powder coated red, which i think is cool. So, my question is, can the grand prix calipers and rotors be adapted to the front of my Fiero? What are the measurement in mm or inches, between the center of the two mounting bolts on the Fiero calipers? I have measured the distance between the holes on the grand prix caliper and it was about 5.19 inches or 132mm. The rotors measured 1.25 inches and the minimum is 1.21, brand new rotors measure 1.27 inches thick. Here are some pictures I snapped with my digital caliper (sorry i didn't get the digital readout on the caliper pic, it was blinking).

What do you all think? Worth the R&D?, would i be better suited with a Lebaron(I think) brake swap? I'd love to use these if at all possible.

Thanks in advance,
-Mitch

[This message has been edited by mitchjl22 (edited 08-17-2013).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
jb1

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-17-2013 08:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jb1Send a Private Message to jb1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
since u got them it would not be to bad , but for someone starting with nothing it wiuld be easier just to go with the 12" or 13" vette swaps. don't expect to make any $ but you might have fun building it yourself
Fierobsessed

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 147
Rate this member

Report this Post08-19-2013 05:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FierobsessedSend a Private Message to FierobsessedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The real problems come in when you have such a front biased system, which if you do what you are proposing, you will have.
On the Fiero, having a big set of honkin' brakes on the front will only cause you to achieve lockup with the front wheels, while the comparatively undersized rears aren't hardly doing anything yet.

Under normal light braking conditions, the brake system in the Fiero is almost exactly 50/50 front to rear, but shifts towards 55/45 as the pressure increases to its maximum levels. 88's have the same pads, rotors, and piston diameters at all 4 corners! Only the proportional/combination valve trims pressure from the rears as braking pressure increases, giving it a 55/45 split.

So if you are planning on doing a brake upgrade like this, I'd strongly consider what you will do for the rear first, before you increase your car's stopping distance by making your rear brakes ineffective by comparison to the front.

Im doing something similar with my (eventual) build of my pace car. They used 4 REAR Cadillac/Firebird calipers, with the E-brake system removed from the front calipers. They said that car had "the stopping capacity of a brick wall". And I believe it.

Now, as far as making it happen? You have a couple of hurdles. For one the rotors don't fit the bolt pattern, so you will need to re-drill the rotors for the 5X100mm pattern, and the centering holes are huge by comparison to the Fieros rotors, so you will also need a hub centric spacer. You also need to take the Fiero's front rotors, and cut the braking surface off and machine the remaining hub to act as your new wheel hub. You also need longer studs.

After that, you need to remove the brake caliper bracket from the spindle and design and build a new caliper bracket that mounts to the spindles. There are a couple of cad drawings floating around for the LeBaron upgrade that you can extrapolate what points you need to work around. (such as axle center, and mounting point distances)

It's an undertaking, and depending strictly on your fabrication skill level, it can be exciting and fun. Please, if you do undertake it, think about safety, and post up your progress!
aaronkoch

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-19-2013 11:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for aaronkochSend a Private Message to aaronkochEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Also, since it hasn't been mentioned yet, I can't help but think that you'd be adding at least 8-10 pounds per corner in unsprung weight. That's bad. Really bad.

------------------

Build thread for my 88 + 3800NA swap

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock