Engine running ruff // shifter question by 4thfiero
Started on: 08-16-2013 03:32 PM
Replies: 10 (158 views)
Last post by: Damorgan on 08-18-2013 05:43 PM
4thfiero

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-16-2013 03:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 4thfieroSend a Private Message to 4thfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey guys, really need some help here, 2 questions...first

The 5 speed shifter from Fiero store, i bought one brand new from the store...had my tranny ppl adjust the cables on the tranny side and cotter pins...but the shifter is still stiffish and it doesnt bounce back to a nice neutral position...the guy thought i was missing some pring or springs? can anyone confirm if there is extra hardware i need for the 5 speed shifter?

2) My engine seems to be running a little ruff...and my power is not what it should be...i feel like there is more of a time gap between engine sparks? Almost like a diesle engine sound...i do have an engine light on, i will check it later. Im worried that one of my cylinders might not be firing...i had my mechanic take a quick look...and my ignition timing and distributor firing order are all correct...(also my engine sounds a little meaner than i remember) Can anyone suggest anything to check for for a ruff engine? (Idles just fine when engine is warm and cold) just the sound and power are different. Thanks everyone
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Fiero84Freak

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post08-16-2013 03:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero84FreakSend a Private Message to Fiero84FreakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
We don't know year, model, engine, trans (there were two five speeds used in Fieros) of your car, so it's going to be hard to help you. Remember to always post all of that information as your opening sentence before you ask a tech question.
4thfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-16-2013 07:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 4thfieroSend a Private Message to 4thfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
ach! sorry guys, i posted this on the fly...

Engine 2.8l V6 stock

5 speed Getrag (out of a 91 sunbird with Dickman's shifter conversion kit on the tranny side) Using again the 5 speed shift mechanism from the Fiero Store.
phonedawgz

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 290
Rate this member

Report this Post08-16-2013 07:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Press the pedal on the far right down till that rpm meter needle points at the 5 and then there will be less time gap between engine sparks.

At 1000 RPM there are 16/.67 revolutions per second or .06 seconds per revolution or 60 milliseconds per revolution and with three sparks per revolution that would be 20 milliseconds time gap between engine sparks.

At 2000 RPM there are 33.33 revolutions per second or .03 seconds per revolution or 30 milliseconds per revolution and with three sparks per revolution that would be 10 milliseconds time gap between engine sparks.

At 5000 RPM there are 83.33 revolutions per second or .012 seconds per revolution or 12 milliseconds per revolution and with three sparks per revolution that would be 4 milliseconds time gap between engine sparks.

[This message has been edited by phonedawgz (edited 08-16-2013).]

4thfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-16-2013 11:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 4thfieroSend a Private Message to 4thfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
whats the rpm at 5k gonna tell me? Im not sure how to diagnose with that...all i know is my engine sounds different than before... and my power is lacking...
4thfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-17-2013 10:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 4thfieroSend a Private Message to 4thfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Would no one else know whats going on?
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post08-17-2013 10:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you have an SES light, the thing to do is find out what code has been generated, and go from there.

Somebody should check on the SunDrop.......
4thfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-17-2013 11:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 4thfieroSend a Private Message to 4thfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Okay i'll check the code, im at work right now so be a moment
4thfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-17-2013 01:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 4thfieroSend a Private Message to 4thfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

4thfiero

815 posts
Member since Oct 2012
in the meantime, does anyone know or can commment about the shifter issue? is the 5 speed shift mechanism inside the car supposed to have a spring or springs attached to it?
4thfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-18-2013 03:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 4thfieroSend a Private Message to 4thfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
HEY I GOT MY ENGINE CODES!!!

Showing a code 23 and 32 Do you think any of those codes will attribute to my power loss?

Still wondering about the shifter as well thanks guys!
Damorgan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-18-2013 05:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DamorganSend a Private Message to DamorganEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Code 23 is Manifold Air Temperature: MAT sensor (unusual high temperature reading)
Code 32 is EGR Vacuum Control

In my opinion I bet you have a crack in a vacuum hose somewhere its a common issue and I read somewhere that this guy got the same codes that you did and ended up replacing his EGR and his MAT sensor to no avail and ended up having a small hairline crack in a vacuum line, replaced the line and his engine was running as good as new (If Im remembering correctly) Just go through your vacuum lines and check them over, Hope this helps.
PFF
System Bot

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock