Need to seal up bad sunroof. Product? by lorennerol
Started on: 08-16-2013 11:15 AM
Replies: 8 (737 views)
Last post by: RilesOfSmiles on 08-16-2013 10:29 PM
lorennerol

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-16-2013 11:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for lorennerolSend a Private Message to lorennerolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have the common dealer-installed sunroof in my 87 GT. Thanks to input here, I'm aiming to get a roof with a factory sunroof, but that is going to take some time and will involve painting the roof and probably the entire car. In the mean time I need the thing water-tight. The metal frame around the window is corroded, especially at the front where the tabs (used to) insert. I tried caulking it up with tub and tile caulk last fall but that didn't work. I'm looking for a recommendation for a product to seal the darn thing tight until I can get it done right- I need the car usable in two weeks.

Thanks in advance.

L
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post08-16-2013 12:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Silicone probably won't work. get some liquid nails, fill in any gaps, and then use POR-15 paint to cover it all. This paint will form a plastic like barrier. Otherwise, there is always roofing tar
lorennerol

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-16-2013 12:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lorennerolSend a Private Message to lorennerolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This stuff?

http://www.amazon.com/POR-1...-Black/dp/B000GGMLQE

$45/quart. Yowzaa.

I was thinking about roofing tar, actually. Seriously.
jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post08-16-2013 12:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You can buy the pint and use it on other areas of the car. But yup, anything like that. liquid nails alone may work.
TopNotch

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post08-16-2013 04:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TopNotchClick Here to visit TopNotch's HomePageSend a Private Message to TopNotchEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The cheapest solution would be to get some Black Jack, and a caulking gun.
peteyz24

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-16-2013 04:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for peteyz24Send a Private Message to peteyz24Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I wouldn't see why clear silicone won't work. I had a Dodge Daytona back in the day. This sunroof glass had warped somehow leaving a 1/2" gap in the middle. I sealed it up with silicone and never had a problem with it ever again.
lorennerol

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-16-2013 05:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lorennerolSend a Private Message to lorennerolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm not finding POR15 in any brick and mortar. Is it online-order only?
MCDUCK

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-16-2013 10:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MCDUCKSend a Private Message to MCDUCKEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Napa carries it. At least my local store out here in the countryside does!
RilesOfSmiles

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-16-2013 10:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RilesOfSmilesSend a Private Message to RilesOfSmilesEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Liquid electrical tape. No I'm not kidding.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock