Transmission swap costs 3spd to 4spd auto by My88RedGT
Started on: 08-15-2013 11:08 AM
Replies: 8 (887 views)
Last post by: My88RedGT on 08-16-2013 10:29 AM
My88RedGT

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-15-2013 11:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for My88RedGTSend a Private Message to My88RedGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have an 88 Fiero GT V6 3-speed auto that I'm looking at swapping out for a 4-speed auto. I know the TH440 4T60 are suppose to be a good candidate and was quoted a price of $2800 from a shop here in Phoenix, AZ to do the job. $1800 for the tranny and $1000 in labor, mounts and misc. The shop has never done a tranny swap before on a Fiero, but know they can be done. Most of their customers are there to have their existing transmissions rebuilt and not a complete swap.

My thought was $2800 seemed just a little high, plus with the fact the shop didn't give me the impression they wanted the job is giving me doubts about them. I'm sure they are a good shop, they been arround since the 50's... I just my gut feeling.

Can anybody give me some feed back?? Is there a shop in the Phoenix metro area that is a good place to go. I call Loper's and they too seem to be only interested if I had a muscle car from the late 60s.

I have an 88 GT with 23K original miles and want to keep the stock engine since it has really low miles and runs extemely well for its age. Driving 75 and 65 on the freeways in AZ really drives up the RPMs and I don't want to put undo stress on the engine by running it 3000+ rpms just to keep up with traffic.

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
My88RedGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-15-2013 11:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for My88RedGTSend a Private Message to My88RedGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Got a second quote from Loper's and they want $3650. Parts and labor.
trotterlg

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-15-2013 11:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for trotterlgSend a Private Message to trotterlgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Find a good transmission and take it to the shop and get it put in for $1000. Larry
92wastheyear

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-15-2013 12:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 92wastheyearSend a Private Message to 92wastheyearEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I though I saw someone in the Mall posting that they were selling everything needed for this conversion

Edit** Here ....everything needed for $700

Pick up in Dallas I think....may be worth the drive based on the costs involved

[This message has been edited by 92wastheyear (edited 08-15-2013).]

olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post08-15-2013 12:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Any trans you find should be rebuilt, as the unit is pretty old. The rebuild process will also upgrade the internals to modern specs/materials/upgrades and the result will be a better trans than when it was new. It will be rebuilt to 4T60 specs. You will also be able to put the 35/35 chain sprockets and the 3.33 differential for good performance and low highway RPM.

The mods to install into the Fiero are available at the Space Coast Fiero website, its a bit more than just bolting it in. Prices vary greatly by locality.

Educate yourself on what is needed to perform the swap, gather the necessary parts and instructions, make it easy for your chosen mechanic. Perhaps the Fiero guys in Vegas can take it on.

Its a great upgrade to any auto trans Fiero! Our cars should have been built with this trans from the factory.
Grantman

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-15-2013 12:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GrantmanSend a Private Message to GrantmanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Lots of running around to locate all the parts Joe has included for $700. Shop is going to charge you for all that chasing or might not have it figured into their estimate and then hit you up for more $ when they realize it's not easy finding the right governor for example.

I would think Joe's turnkey solution would make it easier to find a mechanic to do the work if you don't want to.

------------------
1986 Fiero GT Fastback 3.4Lpr with 4T60
1979 Naked Honda Goldwing

[This message has been edited by Grantman (edited 08-15-2013).]

go faster

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-16-2013 09:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for go fasterClick Here to visit go faster's HomePageSend a Private Message to go fasterEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You can look at the trans that is being sold in the mall and use that as a
How to as what is needed and any mods needed to make the swap

MadMark

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-16-2013 10:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MadMarkSend a Private Message to MadMarkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I had olejoedad do this for my wife's 88 notchie and she loves it. I don't know what the overall gear ratio is on hers, but at 70 mph the engine is turning about 2100 RPM. She gets around 34 mpg on the highway and it comes out of the hole a whole lot better with the lower first gear.

As someone said, this is the transmission the Fiero should have come with in the first place.
My88RedGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-16-2013 10:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for My88RedGTSend a Private Message to My88RedGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Calling arround Phoenix and at Automatic Transmission Exchange off Washington St., He took the time to what is involved and what he has already on hand. They have a 4T60 on hand and it would be remanufactured before it gets installed. So far they have been the most willing to work on the conversion. Going to meet him today... btw. He is the only one who wants to see the car in person and look at the under side before he give me a solid quote. The others did not. I think I may have found my mechanic and new trans...

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock