2.8 won't start after swap by KY87fierogt
Started on: 08-14-2013 08:45 PM
Replies: 3 (129 views)
Last post by: KY87fierogt on 08-15-2013 02:05 PM
KY87fierogt

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-14-2013 08:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KY87fierogtSend a Private Message to KY87fierogtEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well good news I have the 88 engine and getrag installed in my 87gt......the bad news she won't start.

I am getting spark(at very plug)......looking at the plugs I am getting fuel(plus you smell it while cranking).....constant 50'ish psi fuel pressure even while cranking......oil pressure comes up to 40 while cranking.......tach hits around 400...........doesn't event try to hit(not even with starting fluid)!!!

More info:

88 2.8 complete with engine wiring harness
88 ECM for manua(from same car)
Engine ran before swap...albeit very rough
Changed plugs, wires, rotor, distributor cap
Decent compression
Engine cranks great
Good battery

I need a little help....again..lol

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
trotterlg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-14-2013 09:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for trotterlgSend a Private Message to trotterlgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you really have fuel and spark then look to make sure the fireing order is correct and that the plug fireing is really the one on the compression stroke. Pull #1 plug and turn the engine by hand until it is on the compression stroke at about TDC. Now pull the cap and see if the rotor is pointing to #1, if not then make it so. Larry

[This message has been edited by trotterlg (edited 08-14-2013).]

KY87fierogt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-14-2013 09:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KY87fierogtSend a Private Message to KY87fierogtEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'll give it a try in the morning.

I'm also going to double check my frame grounds.
KY87fierogt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-15-2013 02:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KY87fierogtSend a Private Message to KY87fierogtEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You nailed it trotter. I believe the PO had switched the position of all the wires(moved back one space) to get it in time. When I put new wires on it I put them in the position it was suppose to be in. Therefore, when it was at TDC, the rotor was facing #6.
Thanks for the help

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock