Still spitting and sputtering by stefanosg
Started on: 08-14-2013 06:07 PM
Replies: 5 (157 views)
Last post by: stefanosg on 08-15-2013 02:14 PM
stefanosg

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-14-2013 06:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for stefanosgClick Here to visit stefanosg's HomePageSend a Private Message to stefanosgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I had posted a while back about a spitting sputtering problem I have encountered. She typically runs just fine, but if you try to start off the line real fast, she'll hesitate, pop and start to puttering. As long as I smooth accelerate at a normal rate she does fine. Now normally this is how you should drive, but sometime you need a little extra off the line. It will usually continue to pop and sputter as I accelerate until I shut it off, let it sit for 10 seconds or so and then restart it. Its like nothing ever happened. I am trying to rule out the fuel pump before I go to the expense of having it looked at. I've changed the fuel filter, and to recap I have new plugs(nothing fancy) and wires, egr, pcv, air and breather filters. Today I popped the air cleaner cover off and had a look inside the throttle body while it was running. I all honesty, I have never seen the inside of one while the car was running, so keep this in mind when I ask this question. How much fuel should I be seeing? Could I be running rich and flooding the engine when I try to hard accelerate from a complete stop? I took a video and a pic. Here is the pic, but I think the video will be more telling. I just watched the video, the engine does not really sound that bad.

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
stefanosg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-14-2013 08:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for stefanosgClick Here to visit stefanosg's HomePageSend a Private Message to stefanosgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here is some interesting stuff I dug up while looking at the old service records. The fuel pump was replaced in 2008 at 96496. In May 2010, he put new tires on it. The mileage was 97156. Currently the mileage is 97556. I put about 240 of those miles on it since I go tit in early July. So, from 2008 to present, it has been driven just over a thousand miles. Since 2010 it has been driven only 400 miles, and 240 of those in the last 30 days.

According to the paperwork, the previous owner had a similar complaint. "Coughs when under acceleration" This was in 2008. At that time, they did, plugs, wires, fuel filter and pcv. Boy this sounds familiar. They also found a bad coolant temp sensor. Eventually they did a fuel pressure test and was only reading 1-2 psi. This looks like the same path I am headed on.
Damorgan

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-15-2013 12:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DamorganSend a Private Message to DamorganEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
my car does the same thing I have a 86 GT that sputters and runs very rich and I talked to a shade tree guy today and he told me that I need to replace my ignition coil (Ive had that suggested by some certified mechanic friends to go with an MSD Blaster Ignition Coil) Also to use a spark plug with a higher heat range than the one the fieros have (they come from the factory with a heat range of 2...) Maybe try that out? Idk but Ill be following this post just to see what you find, good luck!
stefanosg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-15-2013 04:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for stefanosgClick Here to visit stefanosg's HomePageSend a Private Message to stefanosgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I tried the MSD's and she hated them. It would start, but stall out within 10 seconds. Still running standard plugs though, if that makes a difference.
lou_dias

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 67
Rate this member

Report this Post08-15-2013 07:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for lou_diasSend a Private Message to lou_diasEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hook it up to a laptop running Tuner Pro RT and do some datalogging.
Check that your O2 sensor is plugged in good. Also check out your MAT sensor readings on the data log.
stefanosg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-15-2013 02:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for stefanosgClick Here to visit stefanosg's HomePageSend a Private Message to stefanosgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I forgot to put new o2 sensor on the list.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock