2.8 4 Speed. Was this factory? by JHarvey
Started on: 08-14-2013 04:31 PM
Replies: 11 (463 views)
Last post by: Bloozberry on 08-15-2013 09:27 AM
JHarvey

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-14-2013 04:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JHarveySend a Private Message to JHarveyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
As the title says: 2.8 4 Speed. Was this factory?
I found a 85 gt parts car that has a 2.8 4 speed in it. I plan to put all the manual swap stuff in my car thats why I'm asking. I know the isuzu 5 speed
wasn't a reliable 5 speed to bolt onto the 2.8. By the way my fiero is a 87 gt.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Gall757

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post08-14-2013 04:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
yes, the Muncie M17
JHarvey

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-14-2013 04:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JHarveySend a Private Message to JHarveyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just making sure. The guys said it was a 85 gt so i wasn't sure the 2.8 and 4 speed was factory.
also, I have a isuzu 5 speed with clutch and pressure plate etc. Can my clutch disk be used on the 4 speed?
the transmission, clutch, pressure plate and all the other stuff were removed from an 88 4cyl
trotterlg

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-14-2013 05:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for trotterlgSend a Private Message to trotterlgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes, but the throwout bearing flyeheel and possiably the pressure plate may not be right fromt he 88. If the 88 had an isuzu transmission I am thinking it was a 2.5? Larry
JHarvey

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-14-2013 05:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JHarveySend a Private Message to JHarveyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by trotterlg:

Yes, but the throwout bearing flyeheel and possiably the pressure plate may not be right fromt he 88. If the 88 had an isuzu transmission I am thinking it was a 2.5? Larry

correct, iron duke. I'm not saying the saying the clutch is bad in the 85 gt im about to get. I'm just asking since the clutch disk i have from the 88 2.5 isuzu five speed is brand new.
trotterlg

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-14-2013 06:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for trotterlgSend a Private Message to trotterlgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It is likely an 8 1/2 inch clutch and the 2.8 uses a 9 1/8 inch. FW is different also. Larry
Bloozberry

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 311
Rate this member

Report this Post08-14-2013 06:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BloozberrySend a Private Message to BloozberryEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
IMHO you'd be better off using the Isuzu since it is plenty strong for the average driver. It gets better gas mileage, has better ratios, and is easily installed onto the V6. You need the transmission-specific mounts, T/O bearing, cables and shifter, but it sounds like you have all of that already. I did the swap-over on my original '86 2.8L with Muncie 4 speed five years ago and have never looked back.

uhlanstan

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 427
User Banned

Report this Post08-14-2013 08:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for uhlanstanSend a Private Message to uhlanstanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Im with bloozeberry , the 4 speed is tougher ,& it is much faster , the 4 speed is the way to go for stop lite to stoplite,it scoots out of the hole ,but gas milage sucks,if it is not a dailty driver then the 4 speed just makes the Fiero leap from a standing start ,compared to the 5 speed ..If you drive the car often then the 5 speed is better because of the gas savings.
if you are young, you will like the 4 speed superior acceleration,,you are going to average 16/19 around town
I have the 4 speed I have truelo headers ,dyna max super turbo muffler ,& mild porting ,the car set up for best MPG,I get good MPG on the longer hauls around town ,but just push the gas pedal a little extra & my MPG is 17/20 around town.
performance = 4speed
gas milage = 5 speed
use syncro mesh transmission fluid,.worth the small extra price.use rodney dickman clutch slave double seal pushrod..great improvement & CHEAP !
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post08-14-2013 08:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What is the configuration of the 87 GT at the moment? You say you have an Isuzu 5 speed, but is it currently in the 87 GT? Apples to apples, the 85GT trans and engine are exactly the same except for the throwout bearing and the slave cylinder bracket, shifter and shifter cables. If you're running the Isuzu in the 87GT, all you would need change out are the shifter, cables and throwout bearing to install the 4-speed.
NetCam

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-14-2013 08:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NetCamClick Here to visit NetCam's HomePageSend a Private Message to NetCamEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm running an Isuzu 5 speed in my '85 GT that originally came with the Muncie 4 speed. I've put about 6,000 (some hard) miles on it and haven't had a problem. The performance is still decent and only runs about 2,200 RPM at highway speed, so decent gas mileage. As mentioned above, the shifter, TOB and cables had to be swapped.
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post08-15-2013 07:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
FWIW, I used to commute 180 miles a day for work in my 86 SE 2.8/4 speed. 2/3 interstate, 1/3 two lane blacktop, some intown.

I averaged 27 MPG.
PFF
System Bot
Bloozberry

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 311
Rate this member

Report this Post08-15-2013 09:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BloozberrySend a Private Message to BloozberryEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
FWIW, I get an average 28 MPG city and 34 MPG highway with the Isuzu on my stock rebuilt 2.8L.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock