Started on: 08-14-2013 01:23 PM
Replies: 7 (141 views)
Last post by: Joseph Upson on 08-14-2013 11:09 PM
BV MotorSports

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 189
Rate this member

Report this Post08-14-2013 01:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have decided to remove the majority of the hoses that were used to plumb in my w2a system. Whodumbass used 3/4" heater hose from end to end. I want to fab up some hardlines in aluminum. My buddy suggested I try PVC schedule 20. Obviously it wont be under much pressure. I am using the BOSCH "cobra" pump. I would be concerned about the temps coming out of the intercooler itself. I am not convinced. I would appreciate some input.

------------------
2009 G8 GT Kook's 1 3/4 LT's, Kooks catted Xpipe, Magnaflow axleback, Vararam CAI, HSRK, HPTuners, Atari gauges

1988 Fiero GT L67, PT67bb, w2a, F23, & more

1987 Fiero GT 3.4TDC Road Racer.

ƒ13r0'$ rµ£3

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Joseph Upson

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 88
Rate this member

Report this Post08-14-2013 01:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Joseph UpsonSend a Private Message to Joseph UpsonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by BV MotorSports:
I have decided to remove the majority of the hoses that were used to plumb in my w2a system. Whodumbass used 3/4" heater hose from end to end. I want to fab up some hardlines in aluminum. My buddy suggested I try PVC schedule 20. Obviously it wont be under much pressure. I am using the BOSCH "cobra" pump. I would be concerned about the temps coming out of the intercooler itself. I am not convinced. I would appreciate some input.

What's wrong with 3/4" heater hose and how would PVC be better if it takes up the same diameter space? You'll need to state your goals to have some idea of what kind of outlet water temps you can expect. Generally a high performance pump (Mezier for example) should work well with smaller diameter hose as the high pressure capability allows it to keep water flow sufficient relative to the lower performing bilge pumps which need tube diameter to insure good flow and cooling performance. I'm not sure where the BOSCH pump stands but a 3/4" outlet should be mated to a 3/4" line. McMaster Carr may have the flexible aluminum tubing to get the job done unless you happen to have some Fiero A/C or heater lines laying around to use in that application, otherwise I wouldn't go any smaller than 5/8".

[This message has been edited by Joseph Upson (edited 08-14-2013).]

olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post08-14-2013 01:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have used two of the large ID a/c lines. Works well and installs easily. Some re-forming required, but easy to accomplish.
BV MotorSports

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-14-2013 05:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Joseph Upson:

What's wrong with 3/4" heater hose and how would PVC be better if it takes up the same diameter space? You'll need to state your goals to have some idea of what kind of outlet water temps you can expect. Generally a high performance pump (Mezier for example) should work well with smaller diameter hose as the high pressure capability allows it to keep water flow sufficient relative to the lower performing bilge pumps which need tube diameter to insure good flow and cooling performance. I'm not sure where the BOSCH pump stands but a 3/4" outlet should be mated to a 3/4" line. McMaster Carr may have the flexible aluminum tubing to get the job done unless you happen to have some Fiero A/C or heater lines laying around to use in that application, otherwise I wouldn't go any smaller than 5/8".

I don't like 20ft of rubber hose being used in my w2a system. It may be OK, but I don't like it. So that is why I want it replaced with something better suited for the task at hand.
nosrac

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post08-14-2013 05:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nosracSend a Private Message to nosracEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have 2 long azz copper hoses. It works pretty well.
Joseph Upson

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-14-2013 05:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Joseph UpsonSend a Private Message to Joseph UpsonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I don't like 20ft of rubber hose being used in my w2a system. It may be OK, but I don't like it. So that is why I want it replaced with something better suited for the task at hand.

Whatever you use, you're not going to generate enough heat to put a dent in it so there's no worry to spend there unless you remove the heat exchanger and run about 15 psi continuously for 15 minutes. That may be long enough to heat 2 gallons hot enough to burn your hand and maybe damage your pump but it's not going to hurt your plumbing.

BV MotorSports

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-14-2013 10:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So you are saying the PVC pipe will be ok to use?
Joseph Upson

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-14-2013 11:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Joseph UpsonSend a Private Message to Joseph UpsonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

So you are saying the PVC pipe will be ok to use?

You'll have more to worry about popping up beneath the car and hitting it than damage from warm water.

You might find this thread with pump performance results interesting;

http://www.yellowbullet.com...wthread.php?t=564702

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock