Axel play at transmission by trotterlg
Started on: 08-13-2013 10:42 PM
Replies: 3 (140 views)
Last post by: trotterlg on 08-14-2013 10:56 PM
trotterlg

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2013 10:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for trotterlgSend a Private Message to trotterlgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Abot how much play in the axel shaft at the transmission is normal? I know zero is good, but I doubt there are any with zero.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Gall757

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post08-14-2013 02:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It's a tough one to measure. I replaced my bearings when the axle wobbled about .100"..They started leaking too.....I am guessing that .050" would be OK.
Carrolles

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-14-2013 06:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CarrollesSend a Private Message to CarrollesEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you wiggle one side do you feel movement in the other side? If so it is a sign that the differential bearings are going bad.
They aren't too bad to change. I just replaced them in the Getrag on my 88GT. I got Timken bearings for $12+ each. Don't bother trying to pull the old ones off. Just remove the bearing cages with a cold chisel then grind through the race until they crack and release.

[This message has been edited by Carrolles (edited 08-15-2013).]

trotterlg

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-14-2013 10:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for trotterlgSend a Private Message to trotterlgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It's not a lot and is the same on each side, no movement transfered from on to the other so I think life is good. Larry

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock