How far can i go. by stefanosg
Started on: 08-13-2013 07:18 PM
Replies: 25 (453 views)
Last post by: TG oreiF 8891 on 08-15-2013 11:07 AM
stefanosg

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2013 07:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for stefanosgClick Here to visit stefanosg's HomePageSend a Private Message to stefanosgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Based on your experiences, how far can you go on a tank of gas. I have an 88 with a 2.5l. Still on my first tank, and i dont trust the gauge yet. I am at about 180 and just under 1/ 2 tank. No ac either. I know we are just spitballin here, but I would just like an educated guess.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
crashyoung

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2013 07:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for crashyoungSend a Private Message to crashyoungEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I get about 240 miles per tank, depending on how aggressively I am driving.
Shonyman32

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2013 07:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Shonyman32Send a Private Message to Shonyman32Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I would say fill up right now and calculate your gas mileage. Times your mileage by how big your tank is. If I remember correctly the 88 tank is 11.7.
stefanosg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2013 08:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for stefanosgClick Here to visit stefanosg's HomePageSend a Private Message to stefanosgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
240, thanks. Good suggestion on calculating the mileage too. That should help. Thanks
Old Lar

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 214
Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2013 08:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Old LarSend a Private Message to Old LarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
11 gallon fuel tank 30-40mpg=300-400 miles.
stefanosg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2013 09:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for stefanosgClick Here to visit stefanosg's HomePageSend a Private Message to stefanosgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I did not think the mileage on these things was that good. 25 tops.
Charlie1963

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2013 09:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Charlie1963Send a Private Message to Charlie1963Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've been getting 33 mpg with my '85 2.5L 5 speed. I drive about 50 miles round trip a day back and forth to work on back roads doing 45-55 mph.
92wastheyear

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2013 09:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 92wastheyearSend a Private Message to 92wastheyearEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by stefanosg:

I did not think the mileage on these things was that good. 25 tops.

Depends on the tranny ....I once had an 86 SE Duke with a 5-speed....I would get upper to mid 30's with blended driving. Once got 38 on a trip to Reno ...all hyway
fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2013 09:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
About 10.5 gallons is the most I have ever been able to add to the 88 tank at a gas station I drove to. All interstate my 88/125C has seen 30-31 mpg and it drops to about 24-26 in town.
NetCam

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2013 09:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NetCamClick Here to visit NetCam's HomePageSend a Private Message to NetCamEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
How many miles are others getting with a stock 2.8L and 5 speed? I'm getting about 200.
Dotrenrew

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2013 10:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DotrenrewClick Here to visit Dotrenrew's HomePageSend a Private Message to DotrenrewEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I can barely squeeze 230 miles on my 84 2m4 with the m19 four speed. I average 29 mpg.

All back road driving. I've put almost 2,000 miles on the car since I have had it and still have not been on the expressway.

------------------
2002 Audi Allroad. Tip. 100% Natural. (FOR SALE)
2011 VW Golf. (Wife's Wheels)
2002 VW Jetta (FOR SALE)
1984 Pontiac Fiero 4 speed Duke.

PFF
System Bot
Damorgan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2013 10:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DamorganSend a Private Message to DamorganEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
2.8 with the automatic and mine was only like 130 on around 10 gallons....Im running rich though
CowsPatoot

Feedback score:    (29)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 84
Rate this member

Report this Post08-14-2013 01:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CowsPatootClick Here to visit CowsPatoot's HomePageSend a Private Message to CowsPatootEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have an 84 duke/auto. I have done 240...but that was on a long trip when I wasn't paying attention. I rarely let it get much below half a tank. I do a lot of twisty mountain roads where you never know how far the next gas station is, and the climbs kill the mileage....so I just fill up each time I leave the house on a run.

Also, keep in mind that I have the 8.4 gallon tank (10.4 gallons, but you can't use the bottom gallon, and can't fill the top gallon)...the 88 has significantly more usable tank space. Regardless, on my first few tanks I would fill early to verify the gauge and mileage. Running the pump dry is a quick way to kill it.
Shonyman32

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-14-2013 01:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Shonyman32Send a Private Message to Shonyman32Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My 2.8 (3.2 technically) auto I can get 200 miles a tank with about 85 percent city driving. Most I have put in was 9.9 gallons with 21 mpg.
92wastheyear

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-14-2013 12:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 92wastheyearSend a Private Message to 92wastheyearEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Shonyman32:

My 2.8 (3.2 technically) auto I can get 200 miles a tank with about 85 percent city driving. Most I have put in was 9.9 gallons with 21 mpg.

2.8/3-speed Auto

20-21 mpg blended
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post08-14-2013 02:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
86 kitcar body. 3.1 turbocharged 4 spd. I was very lucky to get 180 miles to a tank. You will never get out the last gallon or so that sits on the bottom of the tank. Depending on how your pickup is placed, it might even leave more.
dobey

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post08-14-2013 03:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by NetCam:

How many miles are others getting with a stock 2.8L and 5 speed? I'm getting about 200.

That's about what I got with mostly city on my 87 I think (it's not drivable right now, so couldn't tell you more exactly). But 17-20 MPG, 11 gallons is 187-220 miles. Pure highway, it's around 300 (28 MPG, 11 gallons is 308 miles).
Pyrthian

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
Rate this member

Report this Post08-14-2013 03:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PyrthianSend a Private Message to PyrthianEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
160-180
4.10 4-speed on rich running 3.1.....
stefanosg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-14-2013 04:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for stefanosgClick Here to visit stefanosg's HomePageSend a Private Message to stefanosgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I got down to a quarter tank indicated, put 8 gallons in. I got 205 miles on that. I'm doing about 25 mpg. No A/C, but its an automatic. No hills here either, just a bridge. Not alot of stop and go either. My commute is about 7 miles each way.
mrfiero

Feedback score:    (91)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 149
Rate this member

Report this Post08-14-2013 06:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mrfieroSend a Private Message to mrfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I made it to 392 miles once in an '88 Formula 5-sp. before I stopped to fill up. I could have broken the 400 mile mark, but the next gas station was too far away and I did not want to risk running out of gas in the middle of Kansas!

Generally speaking, your coupe should get 30-35MPG pretty regularly, so 300-350 miles per tank is easily achievable (over 400 on the highway). I would highly recommend bringing a gas can with you (filled with exactly 1-gallon) and drive until you run out of gas. This will do several things.....first, it will tell you how accurate your gas gauge is (good info to know) and it will tell you how many miles you can drive before you run out (generally speaking). When you fill up, add that extra 1-gallon and get an accurate MPG reading from that tank and you can now extrapolate how far you can go at any particular mileage given that data (assuming you fill up each time and not just add a gallon here or there).

dobey

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post08-14-2013 07:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by mrfiero:
I would highly recommend bringing a gas can with you (filled with exactly 1-gallon) and drive until you run out of gas.

Bring a fuel pump, jack stands, jack, and tool box, too. The gas lubricates the pump, so running it dry can cause damage to the pump, as it runs out of lubrication. If you have a new pump, then you might be OK to do it once. But on a 25-30 year old car, that you don't know the history of (if you aren't the original owner), could have the pump burn out the first time you run it out of gas.

Drive it as you normally would, calculate your mileage, and multiply that by 10 if you've got the larger tank (87-88), or 8.5 if not. That's as far as you'll want to drive, before filling up, driving as you normally do. Pure highway driving will let you drive further, and pure city will let you drive less. But you really don't want to run the tank out of gas to see how far you can drive it. Stop and buy more gas before you run out.

Because if you can't afford to buy the gas, you're probably not going to be able to afford to fix what can happen if you do run it dry.
PFF
System Bot
stefanosg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-14-2013 08:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for stefanosgClick Here to visit stefanosg's HomePageSend a Private Message to stefanosgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I actually have all the records of service since the previous owner bought it. The fuel pump was replaced in 2008 at 96496. In May 2010, he put new tires on it. The mileage was 97156. Currently the mileage is 97556. I put about 240 of those miles on it since I go tit in early July. So, from 2008 to present, it has been driven just over a thousand miles. Since 2010 it has been driven only 400 miles, and 240 of those in the last 30 days.
Pegasus88GT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-14-2013 09:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Pegasus88GTSend a Private Message to Pegasus88GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I get scared to go above 240 miles on a tank but usually have about a gallon or two left when I fill up. I'm averaging 25 mpg on my 88 GT 5 speed driving roads with a 35-45 mph speed limit.
fastblack

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 50
Rate this member

Report this Post08-14-2013 10:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fastblackSend a Private Message to fastblackEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by NetCam:

87 GT/5-speed, stock with about 150,xxx miles on the clock.

Spirited or city driving: about 200 miles until I'm scared and fill up.

Normal highway cruising (majority of how I drive it): 280 I believe was my best. Didn't mean to run it that long and it was THIRSTY when I finally got to a gas station but it was still running when I pulled up to the pump.

Heck, it's sitting in the shed right now at about half a tank with 220 miles on the trip odometer.
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post08-15-2013 10:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Easiest way to me is to top off the tank, put something easy to figure on it, like 100 miles, and top it back off. You will see how much gas you used up to go that 100 miles. Simple division tells you the mileage. If your not sure, repeat it several times and figure the average.
TG oreiF 8891

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-15-2013 11:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TG oreiF 8891Send a Private Message to TG oreiF 8891Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm very bad about running the car almost out of gas... a lot. I know, I know, it is bad for the fuel pump. Eventually, I'll have to replace the pump and then maybe I'll change my habits, but for now, I routinely end up sputtering my way into the gas station. I've discovered (due to experience) that my can can be restarted at least twice after stalling due to low fuel. I have a 1988 GT 2.8 with 5 speed and I go almost 250 miles on a tank. It very much depends on your driving (MPG), but after about 200, you should probably find yourself a gas station. * The 4 cylinder *should* get better mpg than I do, so perhaps this could be higher for the original poster.

I know it is simple, but I'll put this here for anyone who needs it.
11.7gal total tank size
~10.5 or so useable volume
10.5 g * X mpg = Y miles per tank
Fill in X with your calculated mpg and solve for Y (multiply 10.5 by X)

You can calculate X for your car, driving style, etc. by filling the tank all the way up and recording the odometer reading (ODO1). Then drive the car normally for a few days. Then fill the tank all the way up again and record the odometer reading again (ODO2) and how many gallons it took to fill the tank (GAL). Now use the following formula:
(ODO2 - ODO1) / GAL = X
where ODO1 and ODO2 are in miles and X is in miles per gallon (mpg)

If you have a working trip meter, you can save yourself from having to record the odometer readings by resetting the trip meter at each fillup. Before you reset it, use the trip meter reading to calculate your miles per gallon like this:
(Trip meter reading) / GAL = X

------------------
1988 Fiero GT
Custom Corvette / MR2 electro-hydraulic power steering
Staggered 16" & 17" rims over 11.25" rotors with Cadillac Calipers & drop spindles

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock