3800sc swap by Jacksonator
Started on: 08-13-2013 08:17 AM
Replies: 13 (574 views)
Last post by: Jacksonator on 09-15-2013 10:58 PM
Jacksonator

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2013 08:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JacksonatorSend a Private Message to JacksonatorEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hello everyone, I'm new to this forum and also new to this generation of car/motor. (i usually work with carbureted engines) My name is Jackson and about 3 months ago I picked up a 1987 Fiero GT for $1450 that had 187xxx miles on it. the top end needed to be rebuilt but that wasn't a huge deal. Anyways up to now. I went and got a supercharged 3800 from a 98 buick regal that had spun a rod bearing for $100. I have it all apart and am having the block bored .030 over to get it nice and clean again. Now the reason I'm posting this is because I'd like to upgrade the motor along the way. like a new cam and lifters and springs and maybe a pulley or something for the supercharger. My goal is to have a quick street car that is reliable and still gets decent gas mileage. so for cams i was looking at the zzp xp, does anyone recommend this? or should i go with another.. like i said i've never worked on this motor before and definitely haven't worked with a car that had a computer in it.. any help would be greatly appreciated!
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
FIEROFLYER

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 180
Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2013 10:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FIEROFLYERSend a Private Message to FIEROFLYEREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
ZZP is your best source for parts, the XP hot cam is a very nice cam and about the best cam out there for pretty much stock heads. It is also a very street able set up. If that is not enough power then start looking at ZZP heads and possibly an XPZ cam. Dan

------------------

DARN Cars now open with
Over 30 years wiring experience between cars and trade as an avionics technician in both Canadian Air Force and civilian aviation.
Over 25 years experience building and modifying cars.
Over 10 years of full Fiero engine swaps and harnesses building and still going.

Jacksonator

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2013 10:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JacksonatorSend a Private Message to JacksonatorEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
thanks for the info, much appreciated. unfortunately as much as i'd like to get more power out of this motor i do not have over $1000 just to spend on heads.. so looks like the xp hot cam it is!
Lou6t4gto

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-14-2013 01:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you Haven't "torn into" a 3800 before, READ UP about the "internals/Fasteners" ("Torque to yield" bolts and such) I suggest you Read All the 3800 threads here, very informative. You WILL need a "degree gauge" to tighten all your new Bolts/Studs. If using ARP Bolts/Studs, they recommend "resizing" the Rods and "align boring" the block. If it SPUN a bearing, have at LEAST that Rod resized.
Be aware that SC Rods are "Different" than Natural aspirated 3800s.
Jacksonator

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2013 06:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JacksonatorSend a Private Message to JacksonatorEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
thanks guys, also had a few questions about being able to run a/c with the xp cam, and do i need new lifters? i know i need new springs and retainers. and a question about the supercharger pulley, what happens when you go larger or smaller, ive seen most people go smaller and it increases horse power but how does it work? and how small can i go without making major changes. all i want to do to the motor is the cam, valve springs and modified retainers. boreing out the motor .030 and getting the full rebuild kit to go along with it.
sco77

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2013 07:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sco77Send a Private Message to sco77Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Jacksonator:

thanks guys, also had a few questions about being able to run a/c with the xp cam, and do i need new lifters? i know i need new springs and retainers. and a question about the supercharger pulley, what happens when you go larger or smaller, ive seen most people go smaller and it increases horse power but how does it work? and how small can i go without making major changes. all i want to do to the motor is the cam, valve springs and modified retainers. boreing out the motor .030 and getting the full rebuild kit to go along with it.

It's not required but you really should use new lifters while you are in there. Smaller pulley overdrives the supercharger and creates more boost, you have to have full supporting mods or you will actually lose power, going too small of pulley for your mods will result in detonation and ultimately destruction. With XP cam, intake and headers you can safely go to a 3.4 pulley, and with plenty of scanning, tuning and monitoring KR you might be able to run with 3.3 or 3.2

------------------
86 Fiero GT 4spd - L67 swap: VS cam, GenV. Needs exhaust (ETA 9/13) Build Progress
98 GTP - Some mods

Justinbart

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 119
Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2013 07:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JustinbartSend a Private Message to JustinbartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You will be better off just starting with a good running motor even if it's high miles. If you look hard enough you can get them for $300.

------------------
Turbo 3800 E85 F23 5spd spec5
11.17@132.6

Jacksonator

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2013 07:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JacksonatorSend a Private Message to JacksonatorEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm Doing Minimal porting To The Heads, Also Plan On Running Headers, in That Case What Is The Smallest Pulley I could Run, or Should I Just Stick To The Factory Pulley?
Lou6t4gto

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2013 07:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
$200 for a Crank "Kit", $100 for rings, $100 timing chain, $250 BOLTS, $150 Gaskets, then there's "Machine work". You'd be WAAY Ahead just getting another engine ! Been there, done that.
Jacksonator

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2013 07:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JacksonatorSend a Private Message to JacksonatorEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
i Guess I did This Because I Wanted A Project, Also Then I Know What's Going In To It And I Know It Will Be Done Right.
sco77

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2013 07:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sco77Send a Private Message to sco77Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I agree with the comments above... Not to mention the success rate with rebuilt 3800s is very poor, if you do go that route it's an absolute necessity that the crank be surfaced and balanced by someone who has experience with 3800s.

------------------
86 Fiero GT 4spd - L67 swap: VS cam, GenV. Needs exhaust (ETA 9/13) Build Progress
98 GTP - Some mods

PFF
System Bot
Jacksonator

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2013 08:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JacksonatorSend a Private Message to JacksonatorEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm getting A Brand New Crank Kit
Jacksonator

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-23-2013 06:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JacksonatorSend a Private Message to JacksonatorEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
thanks guys, also had a few questions about being able to run a/c with the xp cam

[This message has been edited by Jacksonator (edited 08-23-2013).]

Jacksonator

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-15-2013 10:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JacksonatorSend a Private Message to JacksonatorEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
bump

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock