Dumb motor mount question needs a dumb answer by Corvus
Started on: 08-12-2013 01:50 PM
Replies: 8 (273 views)
Last post by: Corvus on 08-13-2013 12:24 PM
Corvus

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2013 01:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CorvusSend a Private Message to CorvusEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey guys,

I'm just a newbie in working on my '88 Formula and I have a dumb question. How many motor mounts/transmission mounts do I need? I believe there are two of each and I plan on buying them from Rock Auto. I just don't have access to the car right now so I can't go look and my preliminary Google searches didn't help.

Also, since I am doing the mount replacement soon should I replace the dog bone as well? (I assume there's only one of those.)

Any other advice and tips on what I should be doing while I replace the mounts would be appreciated.

Sorry for my ignorance but thanks for your help!
AJ
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
hiwil88formula

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2013 02:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hiwil88formulaSend a Private Message to hiwil88formulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You will need two tranny mounts one front and one rear and one engine mount, prolly not a bad idea to replace the dogbone as well, if its factory. Rodney makes nice mounts out of poly and his are top notch.

Hywel
Corvus

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2013 02:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CorvusSend a Private Message to CorvusEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by hiwil88formula:

You will need two tranny mounts one front and one rear and one engine mount, prolly not a bad idea to replace the dogbone as well, if its factory. Rodney makes nice mounts out of poly and his are top notch.

Hywel

Thank you so much! I've been feeling really bad about not being able to find this info but finally figured that I've gotta start somewhere.
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2013 03:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Rodneys mounts are good, but for a stock Formula I would use the factory rubber mounts.
benoitmalenfant

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2013 10:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for benoitmalenfantSend a Private Message to benoitmalenfantEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Corvus:

Thank you so much! I've been feeling really bad about not being able to find this info but finally figured that I've gotta start somewhere.

Strongly suggest downloading the Fiero parts catalog (aka P22). You can look for it on the net, it's available for download on lots of sites.

You'll find a lot of useful information in there..

Good luck and welcome to the madness!

[This message has been edited by benoitmalenfant (edited 08-12-2013).]

Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2013 10:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just to re-iterate, your drivetrain has 4 mounts. They are as follows:

-- Front Transmission Mount
-- Rear Transmission Mount
-- Lower Engine Mount
-- Upper "Dogbone" Mount

To replace all your mounts, you'll need one of each.

Hopefully, that helps you out.
IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 251
Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2013 12:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Corvus:

Sorry for my ignorance but thanks for your help!
AJ

Don't feel stupid for asking ANY questions on here. Its the only way to learn about your car. If anyone gives you crap about your question, give them an electronic middle finger

[This message has been edited by IMSA GT (edited 08-13-2013).]

JohnWPB

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 144
Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2013 10:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Make sure to check Rock auto. I think I pay $3-$4 for my motor mounts.
Corvus

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2013 12:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CorvusSend a Private Message to CorvusEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That's where I'm ordering. I think the most expensive one is just over eight dollars.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock