Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  '87 GT auto. will not start, does turn over, need ideas for trouble-shoot

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
'87 GT auto. will not start, does turn over, need ideas for trouble-shoot by hdryder
Started on: 08-11-2013 08:09 PM
Replies: 6 (226 views)
Last post by: hdryder on 08-27-2013 12:02 AM
hdryder

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-11-2013 08:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hdryderSend a Private Message to hdryderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My friend's '87 GT auto. will not start. It turns over, but will not fire.
He has replaced the distributor cap and rotor, coil, and Ignition Control Module.
I stopped over today to look at it for the first time, because he thought he might need to replace the fuel pump and I was going to help him install one.
I could here the f-pump run when the key was turned on, and all the fuses looked good.
I checked for spark at the plugs, but found no spark. Also the spark plugs are dry, as it may not be getting fuel also. Even after we tried turning it over several times.
We decided to hold off on installing the f-pump, and focus on trying to get ignition spark first.

He said he drove the car to work one day, and when he was ready to go home at the end of the day, it would not start, so he had it towed home. This must have been several months ago, as I believe it has been sitting for a while, as he has been trying to figure out the problem.

Any ideas about what to check next with regards to the getting spark?

Thanks for the help.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post08-11-2013 09:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
1. While cranking the starter, look at the tachometer. If it is moving up to 200 or 300 rpm the primary ignition is working. If it sits on the peg, the pickup coil, magnet, or ICM (even if it is new)...or the connectors and wires to those things....are bad.

2. if the primary ignition is working, use starter fluid while cranking the starter. If the car runs, you have a fuel delivery problem. If it still does not run, you have a secondary ignition problem...spark plugs. wires, or coil....

Good luck!
hdryder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2013 07:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hdryderSend a Private Message to hdryderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Gall757,

Thanks for the help!
phonedawgz

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 290
Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2013 11:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The ECM uses the signal from the ICM to fire the injectors. So if the ignition isn't working, the ECM won't fire the injectors.
gmctyphoon1992

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2013 12:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for gmctyphoon1992Send a Private Message to gmctyphoon1992Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Before just replacing your fuel pump since it primes on ignition.. check the fuel pressure on prime at the rail first.. It should read anywhere from 37-42 lbs if it doesn't than your fuel pump is either weak/bad or the line is clogged.. You can pick up a fuel pressure tester from Harbor Freight for 20 bucks..

ICM problems also tend to happen suddenly like the situation described above.. if doing the checklist items above and still no luck...pull the cap and take a look at the ICM (the little white or once white round thing that looks like tape underneath the magnet) If it is torn or ripped in anyway or looks beyond functional I think you might have found your culprit..

youll have to pull the distributor to do so though but their is how to's on youtube by buddycraig
AlanD

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2013 01:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AlanDSend a Private Message to AlanDEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Have you checked the INJ1 & 2 fuses and the ECM fuse? I have seen a pinched harness short and blow those INJ fuses
hdryder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-27-2013 12:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hdryderSend a Private Message to hdryderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes, all fuses appear to be good. Will double check. Thanks Alan

Originally posted by gmctyphoon1992:

(the little white or once white round thing that looks like tape underneath the magnet) If it is torn or ripped in anyway or looks beyond functional I think you might have found your culprit..

gmctyphoon1992, are you talking about the wires for the pickup coil?

[This message has been edited by hdryder (edited 09-03-2013).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock