Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  Cracking rocker panels sign of frame problems?

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Cracking rocker panels sign of frame problems? by Fformula88
Started on: 08-11-2013 07:50 AM
Replies: 5 (299 views)
Last post by: hercimer01 on 08-11-2013 07:42 PM
Fformula88

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 116
Rate this member

Report this Post08-11-2013 07:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fformula88Send a Private Message to Fformula88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have had both of my rocker panels develop a vertical crack about a foot forward of the rear wheel well opening.

Is this a sign of a structure problem lurking underneath the panels? The car has not recently been on a lift, and I am worried that the cracks would be from some kind of flex in the structure putting some torsion on the plastic rocker covers.

I have never seen this on another Fiero (which I have had some longtime, extensive experience with).
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Gall757

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post08-11-2013 09:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you are talking about a stock Fiero frame there is no way it is flexing at that point. A more likely cause would be somebody kicking the panel when they get in the car, especially in cold weather.

edit: T-tops?......Then the frame flexes a lot more.

[This message has been edited by Gall757 (edited 08-11-2013).]

fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post08-11-2013 03:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Look underneath to see if the crack lines up with the notch for the jack. Possible that someone's lifted it incorrectly and it's just now starting to show up?
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post08-11-2013 05:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The rear portion of the rocker is suspended, the space frame pinch weldweld and rocker doesn't extend back to that far. The back portion overhangs about 14", and is attached to the lower panel that is in front of the wheel well.
Perhaps the car has been driven off of a curb and the rocker caught or landed on the curb.....

To answer your question about your spaceframe cracking.......not a symptom in my opinion.
RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 304
Rate this member

Report this Post08-11-2013 06:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The area behind it is almost empty

hercimer01

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-11-2013 07:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hercimer01Send a Private Message to hercimer01Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Mine is doing that a little because it was almost impossible to get it back together right.

Someone has had them off before probably.

------------------

Project Genisis Lo Budget 3800SC swap

88 Coupe under construction

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock