Connecting a Tablet to the same circuit as the Radio by Gohabs93
Started on: 08-10-2013 10:06 PM
Replies: 6 (169 views)
Last post by: Gohabs93 on 08-10-2013 11:26 PM
Gohabs93

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-10-2013 10:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gohabs93Send a Private Message to Gohabs93Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm thinking about removing the AUX gauges and put a nexus 7 tablet instead. I don't want to use the cigarette lighter, so I'm thinking about getting a 12V to 5V usb and connect it to the 12V that is going to my Kenwood cd player (aftermarket). The tablet uses 2.1A, and the radio fuse is only 10A, is it a good idea. Will I cause the fuse to blow many times?

My second choise is to get this Littelfuse FHA200BP ATO Add-A-Circuit Kit (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002BGELQ/102-4194502-6027300?v=glance&n=15684181&tag=5336118840-20) and put it on the 20A BAT fuse then I will put the tablet on that newly created circuit. I believe this is the better option, what do you guys think?

Thanks!
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 251
Rate this member

Report this Post08-10-2013 10:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If your radio actually used all of that 10 amps, I'd be amazed. The same with the tablet. 2 amps for a tablet must be what they rate with a dead tablet battery trying to be charged and in use at the same time. I don't think you will have any issue tapping into the radio fuse.

Edit to add......use a fuse tap and try it. The worst that can happen is that the fuse blows and you can go with option 2.

[This message has been edited by IMSA GT (edited 08-10-2013).]

Gohabs93

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-10-2013 10:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gohabs93Send a Private Message to Gohabs93Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
When you're using navigation and playing movie at the same time (with the screen on), it uses around 2A. I just checked my cd player manual instructions and it says that it draws 10A. I could test connecting both radio and and tablet and see if the use gets blown :P.
IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 251
Rate this member

Report this Post08-10-2013 10:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Gohabs93:

When you're using navigation and playing movie at the same time (with the screen on), it uses around 2A. I just checked my cd player manual instructions and it says that it draws 10A. I could test connecting both radio and and tablet and see if the use gets blown :P.

Thats amazing about the CD player. I can't believe it pulls that much.

GM Shane

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-10-2013 11:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GM ShaneSend a Private Message to GM ShaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Note that the tablet draws 2.1a at 5V, or 10.5W. 10.5W at 12V is 0.875a. If you use alternator voltage of 13.5 VDC, you're using 0.777a.

Let's assume that the cigarette lighter to USB adapter is 20% inefficient, which I think is fairly conservative. At 12V you're using 1.05a, and at 13.5V you're using 0.932a.

In other words, as long as the radio doesn't use more than 9 amps you'll be fine.
85 SE VIN 9

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-10-2013 11:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85 SE VIN 9Send a Private Message to 85 SE VIN 9Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You can add accessories to the radio (or the Batt) circuits at the fuse box. Those holes that look like half a fuse are female blade terminals. Just plug a male blade in. If you use the radio one it will be like the radio, on the accessories circuit. If you use the batt terminal it will always have power.
Gohabs93

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-10-2013 11:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gohabs93Send a Private Message to Gohabs93Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'll use the female terminals of the Bat then. It's safer if I want to plug a tablet and a phone (for tethering).

Thanks for the help!

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock