Oil pump, petroleum jelly???? by gtemplet
Started on: 08-10-2013 10:02 PM
Replies: 7 (982 views)
Last post by: zkhennings on 08-12-2013 03:29 PM
gtemplet

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-10-2013 10:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for gtempletSend a Private Message to gtempletEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm getting ready to install my oil pump. Reading thru the service manual and it says to pack cavity full of petroleum jelly. Is there an engine grade jelly down at the parts store or can I just go grab the bottle out of the bathroom? Thanks for looking and any response is appreciated.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
hiwil88formula

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-10-2013 10:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hiwil88formulaSend a Private Message to hiwil88formulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just get an oil pump primer and Keep it spinning till the oil comes thru the pushrods. You can use wheel bearing grease like the manual says. But the primer works fine.
sleevePAPA

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-10-2013 10:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sleevePAPASend a Private Message to sleevePAPAEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by hiwil88formula:

Just get an oil pump primer and Keep it spinning till the oil comes thru the pushrods. You can use wheel bearing grease like the manual says. But the primer works fine.

Bearing grease will not dissolve and will cause big issues in the oiling circuit. Usually remotely mounted oil pumps found on old buick v6/8's,etc, needed petroleum jelly packed in the oil pump gears.

trotterlg

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-10-2013 10:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for trotterlgSend a Private Message to trotterlgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Go to walmart and spend $.97 and get a little jar, it will melt in with the oil and life will be good. There is not much room in an oil pump, so it won't take much. It is only so the pump can suck the oil out of the pan first start. Larry
La fiera

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-11-2013 10:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for La fieraSend a Private Message to La fieraEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I just did a 304 AMC V8 for a retro CJ7 and I used about half of a little jar of petroleum jelly. Oil pressure was almost instant when I cranked the motor.
Lou6t4gto

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2013 01:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I asked about this about 2 weeks ago. someone pointed out how to "Back fill" the oil pump by putting a funnel & hose on where the oil pressure sender is and turning the engine backward. It WORKS !
crashyoung

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2013 03:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for crashyoungSend a Private Message to crashyoungEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I use the pre-oiler shaft as well.
Before I install my pump, I pour a little STP in there
instead of petroleum jelly.
zkhennings

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2013 03:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for zkhenningsSend a Private Message to zkhenningsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I ground the gear off an old distributor and spun it with a drill to preoil the engine. Packing the pump with petroleum jelly doesn't get oil to the rest of the engine as fast as preoiling the engine by spinning the oil pump. A dry engine (at least mine) took around 2 minutes with the drill until every pushrod had oil flowing out. That's how I knew my engine was fully lubed. Do you have assembly lube on all the bearing and cam surfaces? If so then you will probably be fine with packing the pump with petroleum jelly.

The reason to use a full distributor is because the distributor has an O-ring that seals a high pressure oil path, which is why it is common for fieros to leak oil from under the distributor. The reason you have to grind the gear off is because otherwise the drill will try to spin the cam and crank as well, and the piece with the gear on it is the piece that meshes with the hexagonal rod to spin the pump, so it is necessary to have it.

I felt really confident after oiling my engine this way, it is pretty much foolproof as far as fully oiling the engine.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock