Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  Fixing gt taillight cracks before refinishing.

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Fixing gt taillight cracks before refinishing. by GodSend
Started on: 08-10-2013 05:59 PM
Replies: 4 (320 views)
Last post by: infinitewill on 08-10-2013 11:06 PM
GodSend

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-10-2013 05:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GodSendSend a Private Message to GodSendEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Has anyone sealed/fixed small cracks in their gt taillighs before? I would like to attempt a refinishing job as documented in the How To Section, however one of my lights has a few smallish cracks in them. One is all the way through to the point that there is some cleanup (I think mold?) on the inside of the lens. I am not looking for perfection, but if I am going to use a 40$ can of two stage clear and a day of labor I don't want it to green up again.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
gtoformula

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-10-2013 07:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for gtoformulaSend a Private Message to gtoformulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Super glue.
chetw77cruiser

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-10-2013 09:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for chetw77cruiserSend a Private Message to chetw77cruiserEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I believe that the lenses/covers are some type of polycarbonate. I would imagine that a good solvent glue for acrylic would work. Just make sure that the joint is as clean as possible. I have used Poly-ZAP and Weld-on #3 with good results.
IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 251
Rate this member

Report this Post08-10-2013 09:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Watch this video from the 3:00 time. Note what he says about accidental spills. DON'T clean them up. If you use the proper glue and syringe, you can fill in the cracks and have a perfect part. I know a little about customizing and repairing these lenses

infinitewill

Feedback score:    (55)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post08-10-2013 11:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for infinitewillSend a Private Message to infinitewillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I would have to disagree with you on this gtoformula. CA, Cyanoacrylate glue would be an extremely poor choice for repairing anything polycarbonate (such as the GT clear lenses) for a couple of reasons. A) The catalyst for these glues is hydroxide ions such as those found in water, or rather moisture. Where polycarbonate is impervious to water, it would likely CA would likely cure correctly. 2) When CA glues do cure they contract, this would likely cause the cracks to get worse, one of the main reason you can't use CA glue on acrylic.

I spent a lot of time on the phone with the folks at BSI trying to find a suitable glue for my trunk seals and I learned a lot about what you should and should not use CA glues on. First on the list were poylcarbonate and acrylics.

Hope you are well, and the NTFC is alive and kicking! BTW, have you had a chance to see Tom Slick's new LS4 Fiero?

Dr. W.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock