Got new shocks by Mr.Goodwrench
Started on: 08-10-2013 05:13 PM
Replies: 10 (407 views)
Last post by: trotterlg on 08-14-2013 02:37 PM
Mr.Goodwrench

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-10-2013 05:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mr.GoodwrenchClick Here to visit Mr.Goodwrench's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mr.GoodwrenchEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Got my new shocks, struts, strut mount plates. But haven't found anyone who sells the strut insulators. Any ideas? I guess I could reuse but they are old and my struts are squeaky
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
James Bond 007

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 263
Rate this member

Report this Post08-10-2013 07:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for James Bond 007Send a Private Message to James Bond 007Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What are they made of ? If rubber,you can go to any truck tire shop,usually the inner tubes are in the dumpster (or ask) should be free.
85 SE VIN 9

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-10-2013 11:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85 SE VIN 9Send a Private Message to 85 SE VIN 9Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you mean the boots they have them quite a few places. Summit Racing, JCWitney, would be two. Also rockauto. If you mean the spring pads TFS.

I'm doing this also, but decided against boots, at least new ones. What did you do about camber bolts?

Are you going to install yourself? The estimates I've gotten so far were shocking (not even funny). PepBoys almost five hundred just for labor, supplies, alignment, and tax - just the struts! Firestone similar. I don't want to do this myself, but five hundred? They say take the whole thing out and get a garage to transfer the springs for ten bucks or so. Even if it was fifty each side it would be a huge bargain. The front shocks should be easy except for corrosion.

[This message has been edited by 85 SE VIN 9 (edited 08-10-2013).]

jb1

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2013 12:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jb1Send a Private Message to jb1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Install them yourself, it is not a hard job, alignment is the only issue...

------------------

87 GT
series 1 3800sc (7.597 @88.53 1.579 60ft)
(series II swap in progress)
85GT Northstar/ 4t80e
86GT 3800 n/a
My Build

zkhennings

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2013 03:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for zkhenningsSend a Private Message to zkhenningsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Don't even use them my strut shafts never get dirty. I have had them this way for 3 years. If anything I would think those just trap stuff in there. Just reuse the bump stops from the assembly. Pretty much anything flying off the tire that would hit the shaft gets stopped by the spring perch. I think it looks better without them too IMO. But obviously you might want the added security. A ton of us run adjustable coil overs (I do as of a week ago) and that sleeve does not really fit
jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2013 03:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am not sure why the isolators would be squeaking, but you should be able to reuse them. I have always reused them.

Did you check www.fierostore.com?
http://www.fierostore.com/P...px?s=67979&d=328&p=2

[This message has been edited by jaskispyder (edited 08-13-2013).]

zkhennings

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2013 04:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for zkhenningsSend a Private Message to zkhenningsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jb1:

Install them yourself, it is not a hard job, alignment is the only issue...

Just did a set yesterday, took 10 minutes per side to actually transfer the spring, took around 10 minutes to get each one out, and 10 minutes each to put them back in.

Rent strut compressors from A zone, (it is free, once you return the rental tool they give back all of your money) put them on and tighten until the spring is no longer held in place by the top hat and the seat

Take a 21mm wrench, put that on the big nut, take an impact wrench set to TIGHTEN (not loosen) with a 10mm socket, put that on the shaft and go to town.

Shaft will spin and the nut will come off, transfer everything to the new strut, do the reverse with the impact wrench (I set it to the lowest setting and limited the air supply) then torque to spec (torque the shaft)

Using the impact wrench I loosened the strut compressors (just for speed)

Seriously it is really easy, it might take twice as long if you have never done it before, but 2 hours of work with 0 cost vs paying over 400 dollars (assuming ~$80 alignment) is totally worth it.

MAKE SURE YOU DON'T PUT THE TOPHATS UPSIDE DOWN -- it is easy to do by accident, and will give you more suspension travel, but if you have a notchie (87 and below) you can't close the decklid, and on all models the brackets that bolt to the strut bolt that are brackets for the decklid vents will have to be modified.
85 SE VIN 9

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2013 07:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85 SE VIN 9Send a Private Message to 85 SE VIN 9Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thank you zkhennings! It's hard to see how it costs hundreds to do that!

Will a rechargeable impact wrench with about fifty ft-lbs be enough?
trotterlg

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-14-2013 11:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for trotterlgSend a Private Message to trotterlgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I just removed a stock set from an 86 and it must have taken 150 ft lbs to break the top nut loose. I had to put a two foot pipe wrench on the shaft and an 18 inch box end wrench on the nut, so be prepared if the impact wrench doesn't get the job done. Larry
zkhennings

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-14-2013 02:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for zkhenningsSend a Private Message to zkhenningsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by trotterlg:

I just removed a stock set from an 86 and it must have taken 150 ft lbs to break the top nut loose. I had to put a two foot pipe wrench on the shaft and an 18 inch box end wrench on the nut, so be prepared if the impact wrench doesn't get the job done. Larry

Yea it really all depends, if you have trouble, if you have a torch I suggest using that to heat up the nut, watch out for the bushing melting though. Or get CRC's freeze off spray from autozone or advanced or wherever. I have great results with it, you spray it for over a minute to actually freeze the parts which cracks the corrosion and allows the penetrant to get inside and loosen everything up.
trotterlg

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-14-2013 02:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for trotterlgSend a Private Message to trotterlgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Also, it is not a given that the top nut will fit the new shocks, mine didn't, so be prepared to go find some before you take your car apart. Larry
PFF
System Bot

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock