Radiator fan manual switch - gets hot by commerce
Started on: 08-10-2013 11:14 AM
Replies: 9 (903 views)
Last post by: commerce on 08-12-2013 12:29 PM
commerce

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-10-2013 11:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for commerceSend a Private Message to commerceEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
my two speed radiator fan quit and i replaced it with a single speed fan from a 1986.
I also added a manual switch splicing into the green/white wire and running the switch to a ground.
The switch gets very when i use it. Not sure what's going on as i used 14 gauge wire to ground, which seems to be more than the green/wht.
Could it be the newer fan draws more than the old 2 speed.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
dematrix86gt

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-10-2013 11:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dematrix86gtSend a Private Message to dematrix86gtEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Quit running the full load thru that switch. good way to burn your car down. go buy a 30amp relay and wire that up. it will keep the load off the switch.
As with + /- also carrys a load . relays are used to carry that load. by splicing your switch in you are now carring that load inside the car. ...ie hot and warm wires, hot or warm switch, funny burning smells, next is fire. your factory system uses relays for a reason, should you decide to alter that, you should also add relays. Please rewire that! just trying to save ya car man!

[This message has been edited by dematrix86gt (edited 08-10-2013).]

commerce

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-10-2013 12:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for commerceSend a Private Message to commerceEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
As i understood it, the green/white splice is a manual trip that closes the radiator fan relay located in front of the driver's headlight, which is what the temp sender does.
There should not be much of a load coming thru that wire.
And yeah, not using it until I figure out what is going on.
dematrix86gt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-10-2013 12:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dematrix86gtSend a Private Message to dematrix86gtEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You need to see how many amps its pulling. if you dont have a amp meter you can crudely make one up using a fuse holder . put small fuses in till you find the aprox. amp. that keeps from blowing fuses. then check switch amp rating. but yes dont use it until you find your heating issue.
Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post08-10-2013 01:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
First of all, the green/white wire doesn't power the fan. It only activates the relay. I don't remember the exact power draw of the relay coil, but I think it's under an Amp. If your manual switch is getting hot, its power rating must be pretty low.

That said, why not just use a low-temp fan switch? Rodney Dickman sells fan switches that will kick on at a more reasonable temperature. No funky wiring mods necessary.
commerce

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-10-2013 03:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for commerceSend a Private Message to commerceEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I wanted the option of turning the fan on when I wanted to.
Thought this would be an easy way to do that, and it is. Just not liking the hot switch.
Found out it is not only the switch getting hot, but the wire as well. So I seem to have a problem with the relay, if it is drawing back thru the relay ground wire.
Thanks for the help.
dematrix86gt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-10-2013 11:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dematrix86gtSend a Private Message to dematrix86gtEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
i just turn the ac on. fan automatically comes on.
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post08-11-2013 06:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Most of those single throw or push button switches only handle a few amps. You need to at least get a heavy duty switch rated over 10 amps. I would also suggest a relay anyway.
Ray_and_kevin

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2013 12:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Ray_and_kevinSend a Private Message to Ray_and_kevinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I agree. If you just want the fan to come on manually, set the air conditioner on. My air conditioner is disconnected right now and I do exactly that when I want to force the fan on.
commerce

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2013 12:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for commerceSend a Private Message to commerceEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Pulled apart the fan relay and it is a mess, surprised it worked at all.
I have only been able to find the w/o AC relay.
It seems like I read somewhere on the forum that two of these can be used with some wiring modifications.
I'll find it in search archive.
Thanks for the help.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock