Brake Issues by bobojounson
Started on: 08-09-2013 06:51 PM
Replies: 4 (161 views)
Last post by: 85 SE VIN 9 on 08-10-2013 10:17 PM
bobojounson

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2013 06:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bobojounsonSend a Private Message to bobojounsonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I drive an 87 gt (automatic) on a daily basis. And the other day on my way home the brakes just gave out. My pedal went all the way to the floor and it barely slowed down. Once I got home I checked the Master Cylinder Reservoir and both sections are full. I checked under the car and I don't see any leaking fluid and no fluid was around the MC or the brake booster or the vacuum hose up front. So I don't think its a fluid leak. I'm wondering if I have an air leak somewhere or what. But if I had an air leak I feel like the car would idle different. But when I start the car it idles fine. Just the pedal goes all the way to the floor. Does anyone have any tips or Suggestions?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
BlackEmrald

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2013 07:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlackEmraldSend a Private Message to BlackEmraldEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Okay, go out to your car and try this: with the car off, pump the pedal. Does the pedal get hard to the point that it is very difficult to press?
bobojounson

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2013 08:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bobojounsonSend a Private Message to bobojounsonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ya when the car is off the pedal is hard, once the car is on the pedal goes sofft
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post08-10-2013 10:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sudden Soft pedal AND no external leak = MC is bad or maybe you've boil the fluid.

MC then replace MC

If you Boiled fluid in street cars then fix what caliper is dragging and flush old fluid.
Get a cheap IR meter to quickly find a dragging caliper.

See my Cave, IR thermometer and Brake Fluid

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top and bottom of every forum page...)

85 SE VIN 9

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-10-2013 10:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85 SE VIN 9Send a Private Message to 85 SE VIN 9Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You might have a leak. Try pressing on the pedal with the engine running, but don't press it to the floor. When this happened to me I could hear it spraying. Anyway if it's leaking you will find fluid, but probably not find it missing. The hard lines rust out eventually. That's what happened to me and that would be my guess.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock