Master cylinder to work with ga brake upgrade by pontiacfierokid1985
Started on: 08-08-2013 10:31 PM
Replies: 9 (658 views)
Last post by: zkhennings on 08-12-2013 04:30 PM
pontiacfierokid1985

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2013 10:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiacfierokid1985Click Here to visit pontiacfierokid1985's HomePageSend a Private Message to pontiacfierokid1985Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ok so the grand am brake upgrade is finally finished wooohoooo. But i'm kinda having trouble getting the car to stop i really have to push the pedal in the get it to stop, i mean i literally have to put tons of effort to stop. I seen something on here that people use a master cylinder from a chevy truck dont know what truck though ???? I was wondering would be able to use a 82-92 firebird master cylinder one for drum brakes since i have one sitting down cellar still in the box new from my old 80's f body ???? If not can someone tell me what year chevy truck and also give me a part number from advance so i can order it or pick it up tomorrow since i need this car done in order to get to and from work.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
hiwil88formula

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2013 11:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hiwil88formulaSend a Private Message to hiwil88formulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
94 blazer master cylinder is what you are looking for. I would highly recommend the bigger brake booster from sardonyx.

[This message has been edited by hiwil88formula (edited 08-08-2013).]

mmeyer86gt/gtp

Feedback score:    (161)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 73
Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2013 12:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mmeyer86gt/gtpSend a Private Message to mmeyer86gt/gtpEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Is the 94 blazer cyl a direct fit or do you have to replace the push in arm?
Hudini

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 165
Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2013 05:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for HudiniSend a Private Message to HudiniEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I used a 1993 S10 Blazer 2 wheel drive mc with my ga conversion. It gives an almost stock pedal feel. No mods are needed. Bolt it up, bleed it, bleed the brakes, done.

With the full size Blazer mc you get a higher pedal but it takes allot more pedal effort to stop.

The $100 brake booster upgrade is worth every penny. And Sardonyx has it modified already if you buy his.
pontiacfierokid1985

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2013 09:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiacfierokid1985Click Here to visit pontiacfierokid1985's HomePageSend a Private Message to pontiacfierokid1985Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ok so i need to get one from a 1990-1993 s10 that shouldnt have abs right another thing the booster i seen u reall dont need it for the ga brake upgrade. But should i do the bigger booster or would i be ok with just the s10 master cyl and just use the stock fiero booster for now and do the bigger booster down the road
zkhennings

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2013 02:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for zkhenningsSend a Private Message to zkhenningsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Hudini:

I used a 1993 S10 Blazer 2 wheel drive mc with my ga conversion. It gives an almost stock pedal feel. No mods are needed. Bolt it up, bleed it, bleed the brakes, done.

With the full size Blazer mc you get a higher pedal but it takes allot more pedal effort to stop.

The $100 brake booster upgrade is worth every penny. And Sardonyx has it modified already if you buy his.

I have the full size Blazer MC from a 94 Blazer, and I have to agree with this. Pedal effort is much higher than stock, but the travel is perfect. Now that the brakes are broken in I get around an inch and a half of travel to lockup which is really nice. I think complimented by an s10 booster and this combination would be perfect to me.

Also Hudini my pedal height is exactly the same as stock

Also, BRAND NEW blazer MC for 27 bucks on rock auto. DO NOT get a reman MC!!!!! I have only ever heard bad things because the pitting in the bore not being able to be removed with a hone, definitely get a new MC. Also do not forget you need to swap your fiero reservoir to the new MC. When you are swapping it, make sure that the rubber seals are pressed into the bore on the MC when installing the reservoir. I had the seals on the reservoir trying to install it into the MC and it took me a little bit before I realized it would be 100% easier to install the seals into the MC first.

So s10 MC has longer travel but takes less effort
Full size blazer takes more effort but I can still lock up the tires and there is less pedal travel

Good luck it is a really nice improvement at highway speeds, the brakes don't fade at all unlike my old ones.

[This message has been edited by zkhennings (edited 08-09-2013).]

Hudini

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-10-2013 09:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HudiniSend a Private Message to HudiniEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Same height pedal with the 94 Blazer MC? That's cool. When I installed the 94 Blazer MC the pedal was noticeably higher and very firm. I drove it around my neighborhood one time and decided it was scary and not for me. Had to stand on the brakes just to get it to slow down. Could have been the carbon-metallic brake pads adding to the problem. Once I installed the 93 S10 Blazer MC I really liked the pedal height and stopping feel. After the $100 Brake Booster upgrade I am very satisfied. The car now stops exactly as it should in my opinion. The key phrase being "in my opinion" as we all have different likes.
pontiacfierokid1985

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-11-2013 06:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiacfierokid1985Click Here to visit pontiacfierokid1985's HomePageSend a Private Message to pontiacfierokid1985Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I ordered the s10 1993 blazer mc im just waiting for it to come in on thursday from advance warehouse cant wait got one new instead of a reman. Also another question how do i remove the fiero mc fill cap out from the master cyl housing to transfer it over to the s10 mc
Hudini

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-11-2013 06:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HudiniSend a Private Message to HudiniEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just pull. It is held in place with big O rings.
zkhennings

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2013 04:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for zkhenningsSend a Private Message to zkhenningsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I used a huge screwdriver to pry it. It seems like it is going to break but it doesn't it actually flexes quite a lot.

And yea Hudini my pedal was really weird when I first installed it, I am sure you remember from that thread I started for GA brake upgrade advice. But after the brakes broke in I have a good amount of pedal travel and the pedal is at the regular height, and I definitely have to push harder but I don't have to stand on the brakes to lock up all 4 wheels. But that is all a matter of opinion, you definitely have to push harder to get the car to brake. I feel personally it offers more control, purpose built racecars have unboosted brakes and those stop like crazy.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock