Speaker Grill Fabric by stefanosg
Started on: 08-08-2013 09:11 PM
Replies: 17 (524 views)
Last post by: E.Furgal on 09-28-2013 09:07 PM
stefanosg

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2013 09:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for stefanosgClick Here to visit stefanosg's HomePageSend a Private Message to stefanosgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just for snicks and giggles, I pulled the speaker grills out. After many years in the sun, dark grey has turned to a bluish color. Initially I was only interested in seeing the speakers underneath as I am looking to replace them. Anyway, sitting on my workbenck I eye my can of Krylon black spraypaint. I figured what the hell. I gave the one grill a good once over with the spray can and I was amazed at the results. The pic really doesn't do it justice. If you don't have any tears this is a good and easy alternative.

[img]https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-J6nNAvtAazQ/UgQ_0pv316I/AAAAAAAAA0c/5DVkasp5Oe4/w1024-h333-no/IMGP0670.JPG[/img]

In case the picture does not appear, here is a link to it.

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-J6nNAvtAazQ/UgQ_0pv316I/AAAAAAAAA0c/5DVkasp5Oe4/w1024-h333-no/IMGP0670.JPG

[This message has been edited by stefanosg (edited 08-08-2013).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
NoMoreRicers

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2013 09:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NoMoreRicersSend a Private Message to NoMoreRicersEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

You've got to take the 's' out of https. Looks good!
Phirewire

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2013 09:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PhirewireSend a Private Message to PhirewireEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That is gonna fade very fast. :l
92wastheyear

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2013 09:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 92wastheyearSend a Private Message to 92wastheyearEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by stefanosg:

Just for snicks and giggles, I pulled the speaker grills out. After many years in the sun, dark grey has turned to a bluish color. Initially I was only interested in seeing the speakers underneath as I am looking to replace them. Anyway, sitting on my workbenck I eye my can of Krylon black spraypaint. I figured what the hell. I gave the one grill a good once over with the spray can and I was amazed at the results. The pic really doesn't do it justice. If you don't have any tears this is a good and easy alternative.

I was thinking about doing this

jhgraham

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2013 09:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jhgrahamClick Here to visit jhgraham's HomePageSend a Private Message to jhgrahamEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Speaker Grill fabrick, took my installer 5 min to do bth front, longer for the rear.

http://www.speakerworks.com/default.asp
IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 252
Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2013 10:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'd recommend just taking the fabric off. It will always fade and crumble. Here is mine with no fabric. The dot in the center is the chrome speaker cone:

[This message has been edited by IMSA GT (edited 08-08-2013).]

gmctyphoon1992

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2013 11:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for gmctyphoon1992Send a Private Message to gmctyphoon1992Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
rodney dickman sells a great set of speaker grill fabric that is UV protected and will not fade in the sun... or atleast for a long time... had mine on in the florida hot sun everyday for over a year now and it has not faded or changed colors yet..

and the fabric is inexpensive..

------------------
1988 Pontiac Fiero Gt (fully optioned, factory leather, 5-speed, CJB T-Tops: Black w/ gray interior and blk wheels)
1992 GMC Typhoon #0203
1971Chevorlet Corvette 454cu/ LS5/ 4-speed/ convertible
1993 BMW 850 Ci 6-speed V-12

[This message has been edited by gmctyphoon1992 (edited 08-08-2013).]

NetCam

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2013 11:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NetCamClick Here to visit NetCam's HomePageSend a Private Message to NetCamEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You mean they're not supposed to be blue??
CowsPatoot

Feedback score:    (29)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 84
Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2013 12:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CowsPatootClick Here to visit CowsPatoot's HomePageSend a Private Message to CowsPatootEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by NetCam:

You mean they're not supposed to be blue??

Perhaps the dirt and grunge acts as a UV protectant....all the nice clean ones I see are blue...all the filthy ones are charcoal.
92wastheyear

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2013 02:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 92wastheyearSend a Private Message to 92wastheyearEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by CowsPatoot:

Perhaps the dirt and grunge acts as a UV protectant....all the nice clean ones I see are blue...all the filthy ones are charcoal.

haha

Bruce

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2013 11:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BruceSend a Private Message to BruceEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I really like the look of the speaker grill without the fabric. Probably lets a little more sound through, also.
Nice job!!
bb
PFF
System Bot
fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2013 11:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Bruce:

I really like the look of the speaker grill without the fabric. Probably lets a little more sound through, also.

Doesn't make a difference. Speaker grill fabric is acoustically transparent - until you paint it.

------------------
My World of Wheels Winners (Click on links below)

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT and Super Duty 4 Indy #163

stefanosg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2013 03:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for stefanosgClick Here to visit stefanosg's HomePageSend a Private Message to stefanosgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierosound:

Doesn't make a difference. Speaker grill fabric is acoustically transparent - until you paint it.

I like the look of it too without the fabric. Had I known I would not have bothered. As for painting it, I held it up to the light and compared it to the unpainted one. I could see no difference in its transparency.
NetCam

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-11-2013 08:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NetCamClick Here to visit NetCam's HomePageSend a Private Message to NetCamEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jhgraham:

Speaker Grill fabrick, took my installer 5 min to do bth front, longer for the rear.

http://www.speakerworks.com/default.asp

Which colour of fabric did you buy, the dark grey or the black?
NetCam

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-28-2013 03:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NetCamClick Here to visit NetCam's HomePageSend a Private Message to NetCamEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Got some speaker cloth from Rodney. Put it on and they look great! After pictures coming once the glue dries....

Hard to believe they are supposed to be black

Good look at the original colour compared to the bleached tops

Waiting for the glue to dry, don't want to be impatient

Done! $10 well spent

[This message has been edited by NetCam (edited 09-28-2013).]

Scottzilla79

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-28-2013 06:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Scottzilla79Send a Private Message to Scottzilla79Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I think leaving the cloth off you will end up with some dusty speakers behind the grill.
fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post09-28-2013 08:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

As for painting it, I held it up to the light and compared it to the unpainted one. I could see no difference in its transparency.

ACOUSTIC transparency means the fabric doesn't block/absorb ANY of the sound frequencies coming through it.

Replacing the fabric with new speaker grill fabric is best, but if someone wants to paint it, at least use Fabric Dye Spray - NOT a can of left-over engine enamel.

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 09-28-2013).]

E.Furgal

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 278
User Banned

Report this Post09-28-2013 09:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I like the look of it too without the fabric. Had I known I would not have bothered. As for painting it, I held it up to the light and compared it to the unpainted one. I could see no difference in its transparency.

incorrect, the fabric "colors" the sound, painted or not.. but in a car you'll be hard pressed to notice running down the road
and why in studios you'll never find a monitor with it's grill on.. even the cheapest sound testing equipment show the "coloration" from a speaker grill, the fiero with plastic and fabric is totally screw'n with the sound

[This message has been edited by E.Furgal (edited 09-28-2013).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock