Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  Have Spark, Have Fuel. Cranks but no Start. Help!

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Have Spark, Have Fuel. Cranks but no Start. Help! by Str8lineJKing
Started on: 08-08-2013 06:43 PM
Replies: 8 (232 views)
Last post by: Str8lineJKing on 08-08-2013 09:31 PM
Str8lineJKing

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2013 06:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Str8lineJKingSend a Private Message to Str8lineJKingEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ok, So im probably going to catch some flack for posting about this as i am new here and there
are a couple posts with a similar problem but those posts dont really cater to my exact problem.

Heres the rundown!

1984 Fiero SE 2.5 4-Speed

So anyways,, I bought this car two weeks ago and am really stoked to have a fiero and get it running. I however am having some
trouble getting it running. I replaced the headgasket and fuel pump. The engine has been rebuilt with approximately 20k miles on complete fresh rebuild.

I have fuel pressure and the injector is pulsing fuel into the TB. I have used a spark tester on all four cylinders and it showed good. I seem to be
missing something though. (OBVIOUSLY) I just wanted to consult the great and powerful PFF.

Side note. I know the ignition timing is correct as i have gone through the whole procedure of TDC compression on cyl. #1
Thanks in advance! I hope someone can be of some help to me!
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
JamesCurtis

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 64
Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2013 06:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JamesCurtisSend a Private Message to JamesCurtisEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
OK, if you had air (hopefully with good compression), fuel, and accurate ignition then it would be starting or at least sputtering. Obviously one of these key components is missing. Does the car even sputter when you try to start it? Are you sure the ignition wires are going to the right cylinders? This may seem stupid but I hate to assume - you performed all of these tests after replacing the head gasket correct? What caused you to replace the head gasket?
rod0708

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2013 06:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rod0708Send a Private Message to rod0708Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
the only other thing i would do is check your plugs they may be fowled from the no start.that being said if its in time and you have a good spark and getting fuel it should start.End of my help which is next to none.do you have the valves adjusted right.if so are you getting oil pressure when cranking.maybe try and spray some either in to see if it will crank
Str8lineJKing

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2013 07:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Str8lineJKingSend a Private Message to Str8lineJKingEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by JamesCurtis:

OK, if you had air (hopefully with good compression), fuel, and accurate ignition then it would be starting or at least sputtering. Obviously one of these key components is missing. Does the car even sputter when you try to start it? Are you sure the ignition wires are going to the right cylinders? This may seem stupid but I hate to assume - you performed all of these tests after replacing the head gasket correct? What caused you to replace the head gasket?

When i crank it over, it starts to spin faster as though it wants to start, but when i stop cranking it does nothing. I do not have the proper gauges to check compression so i cannot be sure of that. I do know i have fuel and spark. I am 95% sure my ignition timing is right, an am 100% sure the wires are hooked to the right cylinders and right posts on the distributor. As for the question of why i replaced the headgasket, when i bought the car i was told the headgasket was bad due to the guys wife overheating it. ( got it cheap) The guy already had the intake and exhaust manifolds off and had all the gaskets new in box. so i did the work finished tearing it apart. Everything looked great. Oversized pistons from rebuild. Still had the honing marks on the cylinder walls.

I put it all together and now im here....... i havent hooked any of the accesory drives up yet as i just wanted to hear it fire over. I think i addressed all your questions.
phonedawgz

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 290
Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2013 07:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Take out all four plugs. Put a good squirt of engine oil into each cylinder. Crank it once to distribute the oil to the rings. Install the plugs and see how it starts.

It has been quite some time since it has ran right?

Str8lineJKing

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2013 07:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Str8lineJKingSend a Private Message to Str8lineJKingEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by phonedawgz:

Take out all four plugs. Put a good squirt of engine oil into each cylinder. Crank it once to distribute the oil to the rings. Install the plugs and see how it starts.

It has been quite some time since it has ran right?

That is correct, I was told it last ran in February, and i have done this on another car. I will try that in a few minutes to see if it will work. Thanks! Will post results.

[This message has been edited by Str8lineJKing (edited 08-08-2013).]

Str8lineJKing

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2013 07:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Str8lineJKingSend a Private Message to Str8lineJKingEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Str8lineJKing

73 posts
Member since Aug 2013
Alas!!! She runs!

Thanks for reminding me about the oil trick. Now to finish putting her back together! Thanks a million.
LornesGT

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2013 09:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LornesGTSend a Private Message to LornesGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That helps seal the rings for compression?
Str8lineJKing

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2013 09:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Str8lineJKingSend a Private Message to Str8lineJKingEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by LornesGT:

That helps seal the rings for compression?

Yes. In my case i had really low compression from sitting so long. Once it warms up the rings will re seat and slowly increase compression. All i did was start up for like 30 seconds being that i dont have the water pump or anything hooked up. i just wanted to make sure it ran. so once i get everything back together i will put more oil in it and get it to operating temp.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock