Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  Anyone have any engine, intake, upper intake mods that make it sound a bit beefier

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Anyone have any engine, intake, upper intake mods that make it sound a bit beefier by FieroGT-987
Started on: 08-08-2013 12:38 AM
Replies: 14 (857 views)
Last post by: 2.5 on 08-21-2013 05:27 PM
FieroGT-987

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2013 12:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroGT-987Send a Private Message to FieroGT-987Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looking for any diy mods for Intake, upper intake, or engine that will make it a tad bit faster or sound better. I know it may be pointless to you but I enjoy tinkering with fieros. Also maybe a mod for the engine looks and any stylish ideas. Thanks I appreciate it
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2013 09:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FieroGT-987:

I know it may be pointless to you but I enjoy tinkering with fieros.

There must be a few more people on this website that enjoy that too. Do a search on cleaning up the exhaust manifold...it's a good place to start.

//www.fiero.nl/forum/A...130314-2-116244.html

[This message has been edited by Gall757 (edited 08-08-2013).]

MulletproofMonk

Feedback score:    (50)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 78
Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2013 11:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MulletproofMonkClick Here to visit MulletproofMonk's HomePageSend a Private Message to MulletproofMonkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Didn't you basically post the same thing here: //www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/129644.html ?

------------------
-Brian

My 87 GT Poly Suspension Upgrade (all pics) thread
Removing the roof panel
My HUD install thread
Modified stock air canister and base to 3.5 inch for 3800na

Isn't it strange that after a bombing, everyone blames the bomber, his upbringing, his environment, his culture, his mental state but … after a shooting, the problem is the gun?

Pyrthian

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2013 11:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PyrthianSend a Private Message to PyrthianEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
removing the CAT and replace with "test pipe"
much better sounds. slight HP bump - IF you have your exhaust manifold ported already.
Squeaky

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2013 11:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SqueakySend a Private Message to SqueakyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you have an air compressor that has enough 'oomph' to continuously power a die grinder then the single best thing I can suggest is to gasket match your intake and exhaust following a good port and polish.
Its good if you like tinkering and have ALOT of spare time as its time consuming but the gains are considerable if you take your time and do a good job. Also it won't affect reliability like some other engine mods because your not really changing anything, but rather enhancing what's already there.
I use a variety of long and short metal rasps and grinding stones, I know that eastwood.com will have everything you need for porting and polishing but I would assume you should be able to get most that stuff locally, also I'm certain there's threads on it.
It will free up some power to by letting the air in and out of the engine more efficiently, I'm not talking like 30hp or anything but I'd say you could maybe squeeze out 10hp will a really good job. Its cheap in money but expensive in time, worth it though imo.

Good luck!
dematrix86gt

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2013 11:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dematrix86gtSend a Private Message to dematrix86gtEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
take and disassemble your 2.8 intake and heres the good part!! Duct tape it to the bigger motor swap you should be doing in the first place..............I prefer cheetah print duct tape, heard it gets 5-7 hp increase using it. lol
crashyoung

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2013 12:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for crashyoungSend a Private Message to crashyoungEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
exhaust trumpets...
dematrix86gt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2013 12:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dematrix86gtSend a Private Message to dematrix86gtEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
this ought to do the trick!!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m1ZsCYieFKw
Fiero84Freak

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2013 12:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero84FreakSend a Private Message to Fiero84FreakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Your question is incredibly ambiguous. You could ask a dozen people what their idea of a "beefier" sound is and you'd get 12 different answers.

Most all you're going to get out of messing with the stock L44 2.8L V6 is some sound changes. You're not going to get any serious power upgrades. There's a reason why so many swap engines in their Fieros.

If you must pursue it though;

The exhaust side is usually a good place to start. The exhaust on the 2.8L V6 was setup primarily just to work for it's basic purpose, not really to do anything amazing. Porting the exhaust manifolds helps a little bit. When you remove them, you can look into the primaries and clearly see material obstructing the path than can be removed. I did this, and it helped a tad bit with sound, in addition to increasing exhaust flow a bit (but any power gain is debatable).

You can't do much else with whats there, other than running custom piping, removing the catalytic converter, or running a different muffler.

The stock upper intake plenum is incredibly restrictive immediately following the throttle body. All you have to do is look at it to see this. It reduces in size in some places as much as 15mm smaller in diameter than the throttle body opening. This really hurts incoming air. Some people have removed the intake, cut the restrictive part off, and welded a more rounded piece on the underside to "open" it up. It can help since it keeps the incoming airflow consistent. However the provisions for the EGR tube are located in the most restrictive part, meaning if you do this mod you have to account for where to relocate the EGR (fairly easy) or remove the EGR (not so easy, and you may have to make sure you can do it in your state for emissions).

Even doing this modification, there is still the very sharp turns the air has to follow to travel into the lower part of the upper intake. These can't be modified easily.

The "silencer" located in the lower quarter panel area restricts the noise from the intake. It's located directly behind the side air intake. You can jack up the car, and look underneath the car in this area and see it. I usually remove the fender liner in this part to access it. You can remove the entire "silencer" box and place a straight pipe in there. I've done that, and it creates a whistle sound upon de-acceleration. It doesn't help add power, but if you want an intake sound there you go. Of note, the "silencer" box also acts as a water separator, meaning if you do remove it you remove that function of the setup.

You can look into installing hard pipes for the rubber intake (often called a cold air intake or CAI). However, you have to make sure you retain the provisions for the PCV setup on it. Another issue to consider is the air filter box has an incoming air temperature sensor that has to be retained.
MulletproofMonk

Feedback score:    (50)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 78
Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2013 01:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MulletproofMonkClick Here to visit MulletproofMonk's HomePageSend a Private Message to MulletproofMonkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You can really hear my intake sucking in the air... http://www.youtube.com/watc...t2I&feature=youtu.be
Modified my stock air canister and base to 3.5 inch for my 3800na

------------------
-Brian

My 87 GT Poly Suspension Upgrade (all pics) thread
Removing the roof panel
My HUD install thread
Modified stock air canister and base to 3.5 inch for 3800na

Isn't it strange that after a bombing, everyone blames the bomber, his upbringing, his environment, his culture, his mental state but … after a shooting, the problem is the gun?

Old Lar

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 214
Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2013 03:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Old LarSend a Private Message to Old LarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you replace the muffler bearings with ones sold at Rock Auto, it will make a world of difference.
PFF
System Bot
dematrix86gt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2013 05:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dematrix86gtSend a Private Message to dematrix86gtEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I was thinking he needs to change the flux capacitor along with the muffler bearings.!
steve308

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 57
Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2013 06:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for steve308Send a Private Message to steve308Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
http://www.youtube.com/watc...re=player_detailpage

Here is the best thing you can do -------
FFIEROFRED

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2013 04:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FFIEROFREDSend a Private Message to FFIEROFREDEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I used a 357 ci chevy v8 with a comp cams roller cam to make it sound right and powder coated every thing brite red to make it look right.

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2013 05:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sound beefier? Larger diameter ex hpipes especially twards the exit.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock