Hard Start - 87 GT by 92wastheyear
Started on: 08-07-2013 09:45 PM
Replies: 14 (403 views)
Last post by: 92wastheyear on 08-14-2013 03:51 PM
92wastheyear

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-07-2013 09:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 92wastheyearSend a Private Message to 92wastheyearEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Up until yesterday, when I would start the car it would crank twice and start. Now ...cranks 3-4 and will only start if I step on the gas. I can hear the pump prime just like always...and once it starts it runs perfectly. Any ideas?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
sco77

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2013 05:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sco77Send a Private Message to sco77Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Does it happen right after its been running or does it have to sit for awhile first?

------------------
86 Fiero GT 4spd - L67 swap: VS cam, GenV. Needs exhaust (ETA 9/13) Build Progress
98 GTP - Some mods

92wastheyear

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2013 06:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 92wastheyearSend a Private Message to 92wastheyearEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by sco77:

Does it happen right after its been running or does it have to sit for awhile first?

It happens at cold start. Once it starts it runs normally. Yesterday I tested a few things. The fuel pump primes when I turn the key into the "on" position. If I bump the starter, it primes again as it should. Once I started it, ran an errand that allowed it to get up to temp, and restarted it ...it stated normally.

phonedawgz

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 290
Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2013 07:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
How old are the plugs? The front 3 plugs?
92wastheyear

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2013 07:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 92wastheyearSend a Private Message to 92wastheyearEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by phonedawgz:

How old are the plugs? The front 3 plugs?

I have no idea. I have had the car for about 8 weeks. It's been running nicely (still does once it starts) so the plugs, wires, and ignition have been lower on my list

phonedawgz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2013 07:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That would be high on my list. It doesn't fit the sudden onset of the trouble however. Many times the front three plugs are still original. Pull the four 13 mm head bolts that hold the deck lid to the deck lid hinges and you gain enough room to get in there with a socket wrench.

Don't mess with the security torx screws on the hinges or think about unbolting the hinges from the body.

After the plugs I would check the fuel pressure.
92wastheyear

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2013 08:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 92wastheyearSend a Private Message to 92wastheyearEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

That would be high on my list. It doesn't fit the sudden onset of the trouble however. Many times the front three plugs are still original. Pull the four 13 mm head bolts that hold the deck lid to the deck lid hinges and you gain enough room to get in there with a socket wrench.

Don't mess with the security torx screws on the hinges or think about unbolting the hinges from the body.

After the plugs I would check the fuel pressure.

I decided to half ass it a little. I went out and first looked at the wires..... they looked new. Then I looked at the one of the front plugs and it looked new. I then (using a hand mirror) I pulled one of the plug wires on one of the front plugs and visually inspected the visible part of the plug and it looked like the front ones (new looking). I think one of the previous owners changed them all out not too long ago....at least they don't look 30 years old anyway
phonedawgz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-10-2013 01:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Same brand /same look front and rear? If so pull at least one of the rears and look at the gap.
92wastheyear

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-10-2013 02:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 92wastheyearSend a Private Message to 92wastheyearEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Same brand /same look front and rear? If so pull at least one of the rears and look at the gap.

Yeah same brand. Will check it out tomorrow

phonedawgz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-10-2013 12:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If the fuel pressure checks out the next thing I would look at is scanning the ECM before and during starting to see if any of the sensors are wacked out. Perhaps your coolant temp sensor or intake air temp sensor are giving you troubles.

I sell the scanner cable at http://reddevilriver.com/aldl.html if you are interested.

Tach looks normal during cranking? Starts at zero, rises to 200 during cranking, drops back to zero if it doesn't start, and doesn't jump around?
92wastheyear

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-10-2013 12:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 92wastheyearSend a Private Message to 92wastheyearEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

If the fuel pressure checks out the next thing I would look at is scanning the ECM before and during starting to see if any of the sensors are wacked out. Perhaps your coolant temp sensor or intake air temp sensor are giving you troubles.

I sell the scanner cable at http://reddevilriver.com/aldl.html if you are interested.

Tach looks normal during cranking? Starts at zero, rises to 200 during cranking, drops back to zero if it doesn't start, and doesn't jump around?

Yeah tach looks normal. The spark plug gap is .050. Visually the plug looks perfect ...nice and dry with no carbon build up.

[This message has been edited by 92wastheyear (edited 08-10-2013).]

PFF
System Bot
92wastheyear

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2013 03:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 92wastheyearSend a Private Message to 92wastheyearEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
For what it is worth, the car started normally this morning (on the first crank). Weird
phonedawgz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2013 05:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'll send you a bill.
92wastheyear

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2013 05:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 92wastheyearSend a Private Message to 92wastheyearEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I'll send you a bill.

Thanx for help phonedawgs. Go ahead and send the bill

92wastheyear

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-14-2013 03:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 92wastheyearSend a Private Message to 92wastheyearEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ok ...some new data. I drove the car a couple of afternoons ago.....again it started hard. This morning when I started it up to come to work (about 6am) it started easily. Sooo.....seems to be starting easily when they ambient air temp is cooler outside (It was probably in the mid 50s this morning, based on condensation on the car)....and it started hard when it was warmer out (like around 75-80 degrees). I am not sure what that actually tells me. I do have a new IAC sensor and CTS that I installed a few weeks back because of poor running conditions when cold (started ok but ran poorly until up to temp).

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock