What engine bolts to 4T65-HD ? by garage monster
Started on: 08-07-2013 07:07 PM
Replies: 9 (410 views)
Last post by: garage monster on 08-09-2013 11:29 PM
garage monster

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-07-2013 07:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for garage monsterSend a Private Message to garage monsterEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have a 5 Speed Getrag and a 383 stroker motor. I love my car but the 12 mpg I get sucks. What late model engines LS2, LS4, or 3800SC will bolt up this trans? (4T65E-HD) I need better mileage without a large hassle bolting engine and trans together. Is there a better auto trans to use?

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Khw

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 134
Rate this member

Report this Post08-07-2013 07:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KhwSend a Private Message to KhwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
3800SC came bolted up to it in a few different cars. I think the LS4 can also, but there is a issue with the starter on it if I remember correctly.
Lambo nut

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 262
Rate this member

Report this Post08-07-2013 07:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lambo nutSend a Private Message to Lambo nutEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My wife's 2007 Impala has the 5.3 LS4 with the 4T65E-HD

Kevin

Edit to add, And it scoots!

[This message has been edited by Lambo nut (edited 08-07-2013).]

FIEROFLYER

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 180
Rate this member

Report this Post08-07-2013 10:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FIEROFLYERSend a Private Message to FIEROFLYEREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The 4T65E HD that is bolted to the LS4 is not the same one bolted to the 3800SC they have different bell housings due to the LS4 having the starter on the bell housing. To run the 4T65E tranny you need either a separate tranny controller or to use a newer PCM to control the engine and tranny together making this a bit of a hassle for your 383 stroker engine.
Only real option with that engine is the 4T60 non electric 4 speed auto tranny that does not need computer control. Dan

------------------

DARN Cars now open with
Over 30 years wiring experience between cars and trade as an avionics technician in both Canadian Air Force and civilian aviation.
Over 25 years experience building and modifying cars.
Over 10 years of full Fiero engine swaps and harnesses building and still going.

garage monster

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-07-2013 11:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for garage monsterSend a Private Message to garage monsterEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am looking to replace the engine with newer. I can use a trans controller from TCM. I want a newer engine as I need better mileage to make the car more practical. Love my engine and trans but with 11 gallon tank I have to look for gas after 100 miles.
Khw

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 134
Rate this member

Report this Post08-07-2013 11:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KhwSend a Private Message to KhwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FIEROFLYER:

The 4T65E HD that is bolted to the LS4 is not the same one bolted to the 3800SC they have different bell housings due to the LS4 having the starter on the bell housing.

Thanks for that. I was thinking the LS4 had the starter on the bell housing instead of the engine but couldn't remember for sure.
qwikgta

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 84
Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2013 07:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for qwikgtaSend a Private Message to qwikgtaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by garage monster:

I am looking to replace the engine with newer. I can use a trans controller from TCM. I want a newer engine as I need better mileage to make the car more practical. Love my engine and trans but with 11 gallon tank I have to look for gas after 100 miles.

So keep the manual trans, pull the 5 speed getrag and install the F40. The extra "6th" gear will give you great mileage. But come on, with a V8 in your Fiero, you are not really worried about mileage are you? If so, drop the cradle, sell the motor/trans and install a Ecotec w/ auto.

Rob
garage monster

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2013 01:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for garage monsterSend a Private Message to garage monsterEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I checked with Archie and even though I can use some of the parts from his kit that I used to install the Getrag and the sbc he wants $3500 for the remaining pieces to make the F40 swap. Too much money. I love the sound and feel of the engine I have but better fuel mileage would allow more driving.
FIEROFLYER

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 180
Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2013 11:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FIEROFLYERSend a Private Message to FIEROFLYEREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Do the F40 swap your self it really is not that hard. I can tell you all the needed parts to do it. Dan

------------------

DARN Cars now open with
Over 30 years wiring experience between cars and trade as an avionics technician in both Canadian Air Force and civilian aviation.
Over 25 years experience building and modifying cars.
Over 10 years of full Fiero engine swaps and harnesses building and still going.

garage monster

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2013 11:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for garage monsterSend a Private Message to garage monsterEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Fiero Flyer, email sent.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock