Greasing the gears of Gen 2 headlights? by NetCam
Started on: 08-06-2013 08:20 PM
Replies: 7 (214 views)
Last post by: NetCam on 08-07-2013 09:48 PM
NetCam

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-06-2013 08:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NetCamClick Here to visit NetCam's HomePageSend a Private Message to NetCamEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I just got new bump stops for my Gen 2 headlights and going to put them back together tomorrow. When I rebuilt my Gen 1 lights I used the grease that came from Rodney with the rebuild kit (Aluminium gears). I've looked around but can't find anything about greasing the Gen 2 gears. Is this a good idea/mandatory? I'm just putting in new stops (Ford window motor regulator plugs actually) but using the stock nylon gears. Should I lube up the inside, and if so, what is a good lube, would this do?

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
trotterlg

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-06-2013 08:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for trotterlgSend a Private Message to trotterlgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
For the number of turns those will make in your lifetime the plastic gears don't need a thing. But you have it so just pack it in and be happy you have it covered both ways. Larry
css9450

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post08-06-2013 08:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for css9450Send a Private Message to css9450Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I used the type of plastic-compatible grease they sell for use on model trains (locomotives have the same type of nylon gears). Brand name was LaBelle. They probably have it at Hobby Lobby; if not, its probably available online.
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post08-06-2013 10:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Synthetic brake slider grease won't harm the plastic or the bump stops in the motor. A common brand is Syl-Glide Brake Lubricant. It's also high temp so it doesn't melt away.

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post08-07-2013 10:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I would worry sil glide would cause drag.
Kevin87FieroGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-07-2013 12:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Kevin87FieroGTSend a Private Message to Kevin87FieroGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Use Superlube synthetic in a tube. You can find it at your local hardware store. $6-7.
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post08-07-2013 05:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 2.5:

I would worry sil glide would cause drag.

I've been using it for 3-4 years on all the motors I rebuild for customers. So far, I haven't had a return other than for poor quality gears.
NetCam

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-07-2013 09:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NetCamClick Here to visit NetCam's HomePageSend a Private Message to NetCamEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
OK, I swear I saw somebody post something about Permatex synthetic brake lube, but I don't see it now. Anyway, that's what I found at my local automotive store while picking up the muffler to use in my 3800sc swap. Motor is back together and working great, so quiet I could still hear the crickets chirping while it was going up and down!

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock