car only runs without gas cap by ColinsFiero
Started on: 08-06-2013 04:30 PM
Replies: 6 (437 views)
Last post by: ColinsFiero on 08-09-2013 05:26 PM
ColinsFiero

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-06-2013 04:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ColinsFieroSend a Private Message to ColinsFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have the strangest problem... And I'm finally convinced that it is the gas cap. I went to get the car smogged and they were testing the emmisions everything was fine and they took the gas cap off while the car was running and it died. I figured it over heated so I waited and started it up again and drove it home. I was curious why it died at that time so for a test i took the gas cap off again while it was running and it died again. Weird...I Left the gas cap off and it started right up after which if i usually leave it one i have to wait an hour....

When I drive the car around ten miles it will die and the fuel pump squeals every time for sometime now. I replaced the fuel pump but no change I tried taking the gas cap off one night and drove around all night and the car ran fine. So for a temporary fix i rubber banded a cloth over where the gas cap used to be to get air in the tank and it runs great i can go 300 mile no problem but right when I put the gas cap on the car runs like hell.... and I've been testing this for a month so it is no coincidence!

Any help?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post08-06-2013 04:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Welcome to the Forum! What year is your car?
Bloozberry

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 311
Rate this member

Report this Post08-06-2013 04:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BloozberrySend a Private Message to BloozberryEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Most likely the vent line from the gas tank or the charcoal canister is plugged. Either one will cause a vacuum in the system that will eventually be strong enough to prevent the pump from delivering 45 psi to the injectors.
rbell2915

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-06-2013 07:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rbell2915Send a Private Message to rbell2915Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Bloozberry:

Most likely the vent line from the gas tank or the charcoal canister is plugged. Either one will cause a vacuum in the system that will eventually be strong enough to prevent the pump from delivering 45 psi to the injectors.

Agreed. Something must be plugged somewhere.
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post08-06-2013 08:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Topping off the tank can saturate the Evap tank and eventually give problems. Also, one of our locals was having a similar problem with his car shutting down after a short drive and he removed the Evap tank and purged it with compressed air. He said there was a thick rusty brown muck that blew out of it. He was glad he disconnected it from the tank and fuel system. After that, he had no more problems.
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post08-07-2013 04:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I dont know if Fieros have a vented cap or not. You may have the wrong cap or the hole is plugged. Id also blow out the return lines. I know on later model Mopars theres an 'O' ring at the top of the tank as part of the emmissions system for a hose that goes up to the intake. If you 'top' the tank off, that seal shrivels up. Its meant to seal the hose airtight, not be immersed in gas. I think they replaced it now on new models. The seal if it goes bad cant be replaced because its put in when the tank is being manufactured. I always topped off at stations and my Magnum started cutting out like that. They replaced the $700 gas tank under warranty. Now I leave it after it autoclicks off, and never top one off. I dont know what other cars have a similar setup...but it was a bad design.
ColinsFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2013 05:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ColinsFieroSend a Private Message to ColinsFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
thanks guys ill check to see it it is plugged anywhere I am new to this forum its an 1986 fiero base model but the GT v6 engine put in also i put the gt steering wheel on it as well ill check all the lines evap tank and see what happens

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock