Started on: 08-06-2013 03:00 AM
Replies: 11 (1087 views)
Last post by: rogergarrison on 08-08-2013 01:24 PM
SCCA FIERO

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 93
Rate this member

Report this Post08-06-2013 03:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SCCA FIEROSend a Private Message to SCCA FIEROEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The clear plastic that covers the gauges - mine are hazy, cloudy and I'd like to change that.

Any ideas? I was thinking wet sanding them. Maybe do the headlight trick with toothpaste?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post08-06-2013 08:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
An airplane buddy of mine mentioned Lemon Pledge furniture polish, but I have not tried it. I usually use fine cut buffing compound and Plastix polish from Mequiers.
jhgraham

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-06-2013 08:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jhgrahamClick Here to visit jhgraham's HomePageSend a Private Message to jhgrahamEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

It is not possible to remove cloudiness once it happens. I spent many hours with various methods and compounds. Yes the surface can be cleaned but the molecular structure changes causing cloudiness. I can not find new replacements either. Any leads?

Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post08-06-2013 08:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It was probably caused by somebody using lots of Windex in the past. Don't use glass cleaner. Those other ideas won't hurt anything....including the headlight restore compounds.

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post08-06-2013 09:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yeah depends what you mean, if the plastic is hazy/cloudy, or if its a "haze" caused by fine scrathces from whiping it off when it is dusty. The latter can be polished out.
infinitewill

Feedback score:    (55)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post08-06-2013 09:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for infinitewillSend a Private Message to infinitewillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

[This message has been edited by infinitewill (edited 01-05-2016).]

jhgraham

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-06-2013 10:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jhgrahamClick Here to visit jhgraham's HomePageSend a Private Message to jhgrahamEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Cloudiness is caused by UV, heat, and time. These change the molecular structure throughout the material. 25 years of exposure is a long time considering the technology then and now for manufacturing, but even todays plastic lenses cloud up. Surface imperfection only can be resolved.
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post08-06-2013 05:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You can buy plastic compound/ polish in a small plastic bottle. I did a completely fogged over rear convertible top window (you couldnt see out of it) in my T/A in just a few minutes and it looked nearly new.
James Bond 007

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 263
Rate this member

Report this Post08-07-2013 05:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for James Bond 007Send a Private Message to James Bond 007Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Use Caution,you could burn or melt the plastic.
Try the mall section or ask if anyone is going to the wrecking yard.
Or try on-line for plastic polishing..

If you plan on doing it your self,use a clean cotton sock and Turtle Wax (NOT RUBBING COUMPOUND, THAT CONTAINS GRIT)

[This message has been edited by James Bond 007 (edited 08-07-2013).]

fierogtlt1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-07-2013 06:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogtlt1Send a Private Message to fierogtlt1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sounds like this would be a good project to make from the extra plexiglass / Lexan I have laying around.
Fierotregg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-07-2013 09:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FierotreggSend a Private Message to FierotreggEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just make a plexiglass replacement, I have made and sold several. Eliminates the need of trying to clean the factory piece.
PFF
System Bot
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2013 01:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I dont know why people dont pay attention. You handrub it with the plastic polish made specificly for that. You cant burn it by hand and costs less than $10. Takes all of 15 mins to do a dash in the car without removing anything. If you cant do that, bring it by and ill do it for you for free.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock