major tune up time by pontiacfierokid1985
Started on: 08-05-2013 09:34 PM
Replies: 4 (344 views)
Last post by: n7vrz on 08-06-2013 11:43 AM
pontiacfierokid1985

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-05-2013 09:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiacfierokid1985Click Here to visit pontiacfierokid1985's HomePageSend a Private Message to pontiacfierokid1985Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
ok everyone im gettin ready for a major tune up on my 85 gt im wondering what would be the best tune up setup to run on my 85 gt im looking to replace the 02 sensor, spark plugs, a new decent wire set, dizzy cap and rotor, plus a new fuel filter. is there a company out there that sells all of this in one bundle. let me know what all of you stock fiero guys are using in your 2.8 cars and how much mpg are you all getting out of it. im getting 220 miles to a full tank highway im guessing thats pretty good out of the 2.8 ??
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
92wastheyear

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-05-2013 10:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 92wastheyearSend a Private Message to 92wastheyearEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That sounds like about 20mpg ....that is about what I get with my 87 GT (mixed hwy/city)
BlackEmrald

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-05-2013 10:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlackEmraldSend a Private Message to BlackEmraldEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Don't skimp on ignition parts. I recommend NGK plugs, and Taylor wires/cap/ rotor. All can be had at Summit.

Edit: I would also recommend rebuilding your distributer. New O-ring (which can cause leaks) and new pick-up coil ( also a source of hidden drivability and reliability issues).

[This message has been edited by BlackEmrald (edited 08-05-2013).]

Fiero84Freak

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post08-06-2013 12:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero84FreakSend a Private Message to Fiero84FreakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I used AC Delco plugs, those STI wires from the Fiero Store (they come in red, like original OEM) & they're not all that bad wires, whatever distributor cap and rotor the Fiero Store carries, I think a Duralast 02 sensor from Autozone, and the fuel filter I think too was Duralast (or whatever Autozone sales). Rest of the ignition components is AC Delco.

I'm still rolling around good. I get better HWY MPG than you do though - not by much - but I have a five speed Getrag. I'd bet the mileage on my car is higher though (I'm at 284,400-ish miles on original engine).

The advice above on the new distributor O-ring is sound and ideal. They like to leak after a while, but they're relatively easy to replace. Do get a pick-up coil and spare ICM and keep with you, especially if you've never had to replace either in the time you've owned the car - it'll be just a matter of time before either leaves you stranded. Some other items I'd recommend replacing is the EVAP ("charcoal") canister filter and check and replace your air filter if necessary (I used the cheap-o $8 one) and clean the air intake tube and throttle body which likely has residual oil build-up that didn't get pulled up through the PCV to get burned. I went all-out and disassembled my entire upper intake and clean it spotless, but you don't have to go that far for a basic tune-up.
n7vrz

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-06-2013 11:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for n7vrzSend a Private Message to n7vrzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You don't need any of the fancy spark plugs like E3's/Platinum/etc. Just go get the AC Delco stock replacements. The wires, there are so many replacements out there. Taylors are good. Just don't buy the cheapest as you get what you pay for. Rotor and cap, try to find brass posts in the cap and brass in the rotor. I know there are several companies that make them but not what would be available to you at your local parts palace.
Filters, I stay away from Fram as if they were the plague. In my opinion they are the worst filters made. I prefer Purolator filters.
Purolator Pure One PL24011 for oil.
Purolator A24342 for air filter
Purolator F33144 for fuel
If I'm going to do all this, as you say, a major tune up then I also take a serious look at the belts. I replace them if I see even the beginning of cracks anywhere. Once they start to crack they could last another mile or 10,000 miles. I don't take the chance. That's just my paranoia speaking.
Don't forget to replace the PVC.
And have at least one replacement pickup, ignition module and the tools to change them with you at all times. The last trip I tried to take with my Fiero, the ignition module blew 3 times before I was out of the state. Yes, blew, not overheated and stopped working. I was very lucky in that they blew while close to parts stores. I had to buy what was on the shelf. Which turn out to not be the best.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock